Chapter One

Words: 1,316

Kouper

I fell. I slipped off the roof and landed on my head. I blacked out. I forgot everything.

    When I awoke, three people stood hovering over me. A tall thin woman with midnight black hair and pale skin. A muscular man with a shaved head. And a little girl with bright blonde hair. The women started weeping. I wanted to ask what was wrong, but I couldn't speak. In fact, I couldn’t move. Internally, i was screaming, but on the outside, i was as quiet as a sunday morning on the countryside. Funny thing was, i remembered things like words and places. But I had no memory of my life. I fell back asleep.

    I woke up startled. My heart was racing. But I was sitting up. I looked at my hands. They were covered in bandages. I ripped off my I.V and got up. Suddenly, I felt a pain shoot up my leg and spine, and I fell to the ground. An old woman rushed in. She looked like a nurse. She helped me back into bed and told me to stay. I did what she said, only out of fear of falling again.

    It was midnight when it finally hit me. Where was I? Who was I? I was confused. I called for someone. Anyone. 

“Hello?” I yelled into the darkness. “Is someone there?” 

Nobody answered. It was hopeless. Then suddenly, I heard someone say something. I couldn't make out what it was though. 

“Hello?” I said again. 

“Hi,” someone replied.

Someone had answered. It wasn't my imagination. 

“What’s your name?” I called out, hoping for another reply. 

But no one answered. maybe i was just imagining it… Soon, I fell asleep.

    The next morning I was determined to figure out who I was talking to last night. there was no way it was my imagination. It felt so. Real. I called out for a nurse. The old woman from the day before walked in. 

“What do you need sir?" She asked. 

Sir. dangit. What was my name? 

“Um-” I began. 

I coughed. harshly. What was wrong with me? Finally, I said. “Where am I?” 

    The nurse explained as much as she could to me. She told me I had fallen off a roof and that my family had rushed me in. That must have been who those people hovering over me were. My family. damnit. Why couldn’t I remember my own family!? The nurse told me I was 17 years old and my name was Kouper Wilson. I had a severe concussion and had previously been in a coma for three weeks. I was glad I had been given actual information. But I wanted to know more. 

“Who’s in the room next to me?” I asked. 

“Oh.” she replied. “That's just some random guy.” 

I could tell she was nervous. But why? 

“What’s his name?” I asked hoping for a little more information about this “Guy”. 

“Um,” she replied. 

There was a long pause. It seemed the nurse was trying to choose her words carefully. But I still had no idea why. 

“His name is Ryder.” she finally said. 

Then she walked out of the room. Ryder. Where had I heard that name before? It hurt my head to try and figure it out so I gave up.

    That night, I ripped out my I.V again, and got up. This time though, I made sure to get out of my bed carefully. I didn't want to fall again. I grabbed onto the wall and limped to the next room. Once I reached the room, I crashed into a chair and landed in it. I groaned. My head hurt like hell.