Chapter 8

(Songs 22-27)

Marvin stood, hesitantly holding his hand out for Jackie to take. Jackie glanced at it then looked back up at Marvin. He had to admit, it hurt a little seeing the way Jackie looked at him, with so much fear in his eyes. Although he couldn't blame him, Marvin was even starting to get a little scared of himself. Jackie pushed himself to his feet, standing shakily. Marvin pulled his hand back again, crossing his arms over his chest as guilt pulled at his insides, making him a little nauseous.
"I didn't mean to, I'm sorry..." He whispered, looking down at the floor so he wouldn't have to see the betrayal Jackie felt.
Jackie didn't respond, which was fair. Marvin wouldn't have known what to say in that situation either.
He wished he could promise to Jackie that it wouldn't happen again, but he genuinely had no idea. He had been stuck within these erratic mood swings and he didn't know how to escape or make them stop. He was fairly certain he knew the cause, but it wasn't like he would ever be able to confide in Jackie. He thought it might have been because he brought Jackie back, messing with black magic. He had known the risks, but he hadn't cared. And now Jackie was paying the price and Marvin couldn't stop it.
"Marvin?" Jackie's voice came quietly, unexpectedly.
Marvin looked up, his nails digging into his arm out of anxiety, "Yeah?" He whispered.
"Why can't I leave the house?"
Marvin flinched. He couldn't ever tell Jackie the real reason, he knew that. He had to lie. For Jackie's safety. This was to keep Jackie safe, so he could stay with Marvin. This was for his own good, wasn't it?
"Uh- I- There are people looking for you, we have to wait for it to calm down out there before you can go outside," Marvin said, his voice filled with uncertainty, "For your safety," He added weakly.
Jackie looked confused, "How are I supposed to know when that is, if you're the only one with a phone? Why are you the only one with a phone?"
Shit shit shit, why was he asking questions??
"Ah- Um- So they can't track you?"
"But I keep my identity a secret, they don't know who I am..." Jackie said, glaring at Marvin with his arms crossed.
"Y- you don't know that, someone could figure it out-" Marvin was running out of excuses.
"But if they found out who I am, then they'd know that you're dating me, and then they'd just track your phone," Jackie stated.
"B- but-" Marvin started.
"You know what, never mind, fuck this. Whatever," Jackie muttered, brushing past Marvin to get into the kitchen.
Marvin sank to the floor again, bringing his legs up to his chest, hiding his face in his knees. He couldn't do this... He couldn't keep lying to Jackie...
A tear slid down his cheek and he shut his eyes, trying to keep his breathing level.
But he had to. He had to keep lying so Jackie would stay with him. But he had to figure out these mood swings, he couldn't keep hurting Jackie. What if it got worse? What if he killed Jackie?? Not... that you could kill someone that was already dead, probably...

After a few minutes, Jackie quietly came back into the hall, leaning against the wall and sliding down it so he was sitting. He rested his head against the cool surface of the wall, wondering why he decided to come back.
"Are you ok?" He asked quietly, looking down at Marvin, still curled into a ball.
"I'm fine..." Marvin muttered, lifting his head and wiping at his wet cheeks.
Jackie wrapped his arm around Marvin's shoulders and pulled him into his side. Marvin wasn't sure why Jackie even cared at this point, but it felt nice to be worried about, even if he was dangerous and didn't deserve any sympathy.
"I-... I don't know what's happening to you, Marv, but..." Jackie hesitated, thinking about his words, "But I still love you, and I always will."
Marvin's eyes welled up again, "I don't know what's happening either..."
A lie, but he'd never tell Jackie that he knew, because that would lead to a lot of questions he wouldn't be able to answer. And he doubted that Jackie would continue to love him if he found out what Marvin had done. Which is why it was necessary to keep this a secret. He didn't care what he had to do to keep this a secret. He didn't care who he had to hurt. Marvin's eyes glazed over with black for a moment, but Jackie didn't notice.
"Marvin, did something happen to Chase?" Jackie asked abruptly, causing Marvin's head to shoot up.
"What? What do you mean?" Marvin asked, fighting to keep his voice level.
"I feel like something happened to Chase. I think he was ok, but I remember a thump, like he fell over. I... I was hiding..." Jackie said, struggling to remember, his voice shaking, "I don't... I can't remember why... I don't know who I was hiding from."
"I- I think that was a dream..." Marvin said a bit hesitantly, "I don't remember that happening..."
"You weren't there..." Jackie muttered, "Or were you?" He sighed and put his head in between his knees, "Why can't I remember things, Marv?" His voice was quiet, afraid.
Marvin didn't answer. Hopefully Jackie wouldn't remember anything else. He couldn't risk taking any more of Jackie's memories, in fear that Jackie's mind would break.