Kabanata 40

Hi! This is the last chapter of Sweet Pacific Breezes. It's been a rollercoaster ride and I thought hindi ko siya matatapos kasi ilang ulit akong nag-revise ng mga chapters hanggang sa ma-satisfy ako sa kinalabasan ng story. I hope you guys appreciate this story, kasi for me, it's not the easiest to write (among this series). Some may or may not agree with how this turned out but this is how I want it. I want them to be happy :). Maraming salamat sa paghihintay at sa pagbabasa. See you sa Wakas. xoxo

Kabanata 40

Sweet Pacific Breezes

I observed the video closely as I stared at my phone. I bit my lower lip in anticipation as I wait for the next moment to happen. Nang gumalaw ang tubig at may lumitaw sa screen, parang may bumalot na init sa aking dibdib nang makitang lumitaw si Ira mula roon. My heart swelled with joy when I saw how healthy she was despite the stress that she's been through. They had put a tracker on her to locate her easily after the incident. Ni hindi ako aware na nilagyan siya at kung alam ko lang, hindi talaga ako papayag na gawin siyang pain sa mga demonyong iyon.

I touched the screen, imagining myself caressing her shiny skin. Mukhang nag-e-enjoy siya sa tubig. She circled the water and seconds later, she joined with the other Irrawaddy dolphins. Totoo nga ang sabi ni Uncle na nilagay siya sa sanctuary kung saan naroon din ang iilan niyang mga kasama. They guarded the sanctuary with barriers against tourists and they're protected against smugglers.

"I asked them to send me some videos and updates from the sanctuary. Agad din naman silang pumayag dahil alam nilang ikaw mismo ang nag-alaga sa kaniya. It was their way of thanking you for protecting her and keeping her alive," kwento ni Uncle habang nagmamaneho.

"Thank you for this, Uncle. Mukhang masaya si Ira sa bagong tahanan. She also looks healthy."

I was beyond happy to see her live with her kind. She's not alone anymore because time favored her. I felt like a parent, proud of her daughter's achievement. Ito 'yong hinihintay kong pagkakataon. I really wished for her to live a good life in the wild. Kahit pa hindi ko alam kung kailan kami magkikita ulit, I wish for her to explore the vastness of the sea together with her family, and I guess, it's really happening.

"We're here," untag ni Uncle at pinatay na ang makina ng sasakyan. My heart throbbed as soon as I saw the house in view. Ibinaba ko ang cellphone ni Uncle at lumabas ng kaniyang sasakyan. He also went out and surveyed the place.

"Mukhang walang tao, Cleora. Maybe he's not home," ani Uncle.

"It's alright, Uncle. Maraming salamat po sa paghatid niyo sa akin."

Uncle pulled me into a tight hug na siyang ikinagulat ko. I returned the affection to ease my anxiety.

"Look at you all grown up. Hindi ko inaasahan ang mabilis na paglipas ng taon. And I'm sure you're going to be fine."

Humiwalay ako sa kaniya. Uncle caressed my cheek and smiled at me.

"I know I shouldn't probably say this but I know he loves you. Kaya pala parang pamilyar sa akin ang kaniyang ginagawa. Your dad was like him, too. He's willing to bend everything just for your mother."

"Uncle, is love enough?" I asked. "Kung pareho na kayong nasasaktan, is love even enough to save you both?"

"I've never loved someone intensely, Cleora. Surely, love isn't enough. May mga bagay na kailangang idagdag sa relasyon upang maging matatag. You both have to work together. To tend to your wounds, to give comfort, to forgive, and to have faith. The pain is always there. No one's an exemption to the pain." Uncle smiled at me. "It is always up to you, Cleora. Huwag mong pilitin ang sarili na gawin ang bagay na ayaw mo naman."