chapter one.

october 31, 1987.

i couldn't take it anymore. the party was too much. writhin, sweaty bodies covered almost every square inch of our downstairs, and upstairs it was only slightly different- sex occupied each room, and in the bathroom people were doing lines, not my particular cup of tea.

i decided to head home, and given my sureness of my soberity and my ride here, tommy's, i figured walking was a safer idea. it was only a few blocks anywho, and it was only 11:46 p.m., there should still be a few kids from the junior high out. i was groped on my journey to find tommy somewhere and let him know of my plans.

i ventured through the living room and kitchen a few times, with no success in my search. a bad feeling overcame me as i slowly took the stairs, one by one. he couldn't have done this again. he promised he wouldn't.

moans echoed hoed through the halls, and none sounded very familiar. the one thing that caught my ear was an aggressive whisper. i pressed my ear gently up to the door, and stupidity and anger and pain hit me like a car.

"i don't want to wait, don't you tease me, babe."

"but what if she finds out?"

"she won't. now let's fuck."

my heart pounded with rage as i stepped away- i already heard enough. now, what i did next caused me even more pain the the initial hurt. as the door slammed open and i burst in, i immediately recognized tha stringy hair: it was my friend, alice.

"what the hell?" she shrieked from under the covers above tommy's body.

"excuse me? what the hell are you doing with my boyfriend?!" the words spilled from my mouth and my voice caught both of their attention. tommy sat with his elbows propped on the pillow, nearly pushing alice off of him so she rolled onto her back beside him.

"i- we weren't even gonna do anything, i wouldn't do anything with her!" tommy yelled defensively. she gasped and yanked the sheets and wrapped them around her body, standing up. even though i was pleased to see that she covered herself up, it revealed tommy, clad in only a condom. probably an extra small at that.

"you're disgusting," i said as i stormed out of the room and down the stairs. she didn't even try to apologize. some friend. i guess i could have seen it coming, but still.

i would have been cold as i entered the brisk air, if it weren't for my current stir of anger and other emotions. i almost forgot what night it was, jumping as someone in the distance screamed, but then it hit me that it was probably some girl whose boyfriend scared her. boyfriend.

i had to leave this neighborhood before i got anywhere near where i lived; the house i was previously at was said to be haunted and someone rented it out for the night, and this was on the nice side of manhatten. my aunt and uncle, however, lived in the cheaper side, in a small apartment smushed between other small apartments.

it it was darker once i got closer to my destination, most lights out by this time. it was around 12:30 when i had finally made it home, and i found that the door was locked. i picked my keys out of my pocket, the small pocket hidden inside my avengers costume- tommy and i were supposed to be matching as i was black widow and he was hawk- and i opened the door, to find a dark living room.

it wasn't much of a surprise to me, as uncle jim probably passed out by his eigth beer, and aunt caren probably left to be with our neighbor, tanner, the 20 year old who would look down her shirt at the diner.

i head up stairs to my small but cozy room, and peeled off the stupid tight costume, slipping into my loose shorts and a silky button up. i pulled out my phone and checked to see for missed calls. nothing. sick.

as i lay in bed, surrounded by my blankets, it was silent. no sniffles coming from me or sadness. only one thing stuck out to me throughout the whole apartment: maci's whimpering. maci was my corgi pup who i had finagled into keeping when i moved in with my relatives. the whimpers were coming from downstairs.

i padded down the cold steps, clutching the railing for support and headed into the kitchen where i found maci sitting next to the basement door. figured there could have been a rat down there but that it wasn't a big deal, plus i wasn't allowed down there, caren said there was mold that wasn't safe to breathe in.

i picked up maci and carried her upstairs, closing my door and placing her on my bed beside me. i turned onto my side, my head resting on my hands and looked at her. "you're all i've got," i whispered softly, reaching one of mt hands out to pet her head. she licked my arm generously, and i fell asleep.

i was awoken by a loud banging noise coming from below me. maci was startled awake as well, her ears standing at attention. this was odd; caren was always quiet when she came back home, even when she wasn't very sober, and this was a different kind of noise. it was more of a pounding.

downstairs i inspected and found that the noise was coming from none other than the basement. this was the second time tonight that i found myself leaning with my ear to a door, this time just as bad, if not worse than the last.

i heard groaning, muffled, but it was clear that someone or something was in pain down there. it wasn't easy, but i managed to determine that it was the sound of a girl. i slowly touched the knob for only the second time in my life (the first time i got yelled at) and i opened it slowly and carefully.

i was alarmed to see that light shown from the bottom of the stairs. i used my phone as a source of light to avoid nails on the steps, and i screamed when i reached the bottom.

it was dais, the girl who had been reported missing months ago, completely bare upon a make shift table, tape keeping her down. that wasn't it, however, because i found my uncle had been sitting atop her, covering her mouth with his hand as he moved forecfully over her body. he turned with pure anger in his eyes.

"piper! get out now!" he yelled in a voice i had never heard him use, not even when he was drunk and mad at my aunt. i stood frozen, unsure of what to do, and the last thing i heard was my aunt's voice.

"sweety, you know the rules."

-

so this chapter seems scary and doesn't include jack gilinsky, but he will be in the next chapter. please vote & comment your opinions. sorry if there are any mispellings or mistakes, i was in a hurry to write and post this. enjoy!