49: 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭

"He just walked into my house and started commanding me! Who the hell does he think he is? He can't pick my friends!" Amélie continued to rant about her brother, racing around my room

I loudly laugh, "why was he mad anyways? It's not that serious."

"I mean he said I'm friends with his girlfriend and all that jazz. He also said I'm going behind his back." She picked up her second cup of wine and chugged the glass.

I quickly brought my hand to stop her, "first of all, is Damien okay in the head? And secondly, that's enough wine, we have a gala to prepare for." With what I said, I got up and headed to my master bathroom. "So am I doing your hair or not?"

"Yeah, I just want it straightened. My hair literally cannot hold curls at all." She takes a seat at the bench near my counter and I pull out a straightener.

I grin, "you're like my friend Scarlett. I remember this one time in high school, we tried different methods of overnight curls and none of them worked." A sad laugh leaves my lips. "I miss her."

She looks up at me, "what happened between you guys?"

"Nothing, I mean we're not close anymore. She got a boyfriend and I got heartbroken so we kinda went our separate ways. Which shouldn't be since we've been like best friends since we were young but..." I trailed off at the end, not knowing what to say.

Amélie hums, looking at her fresh set of nails. "Honestly, Naomi, I have no answer for you. Simply because I've only had 3 friends. One of them is you, so it's kind of hard to tell you anything based on experience. But I think you and Scarlett need to mend your relationship. I mean she's your childhood friend, don't let someone so special to you drift away. You'll regret it."

"Thanks, Amélie I appreciate your advice. I just want to be better again, you know. I told you about my insomnia last week but there's more to it than that. And the more I've learned about my life, the less I've been able to sleep. It's haunting me." At this point, I felt that I was saying too much so I kept quiet while Amélie continued to give me advice.

I eventually finished her hair and I styled mine, leaving the long braids down and applying edge control to my edges. Amélie's dress was jaw-dropping, crimson red with a tight corset synching her waist. The dress came with a pair of gloves which she wore, lighting up the room. "Holy shit you look beautiful."

Her eyes raked over my royal blue dress. They were specifically glued to the silver broach clipping the side together. I paired the dress with silver jewelry and heels, making me feel extremely confident. She smiles, "you shouldn't be talking Naomi. If my brother isn't on his knees tonight then call him a bloody bastard."

I smile, "Reid will be here in a few minutes so we'll be on our way." I look over the text message that Reid sent me, insuring that he will be here shortly.

I can see the annoyance and unease rising on Amelie's face. She decides to speak, "does Damien know you're going with Reid?"

My eyebrow twitches, "that's his business how?"

"It's just that- never mind. Hopefully, all goes well." As soon as she says this, the doorbell rings and a very good-looking Reid walks in.

His suit colour wasn't my favourite-all white. But it was paired with navy blue which I could accept. His eyes look over my entire outfit and a smile rose on his face. He immediately grabbed my hand and directed us outside. "You look nice Naomi. The dress is wonderful."

━✦❘༻༺❘✦━

After a long drive, we finally got to the hall for the gala. Many cars were parked outside and the driver sped to the door. Amélie ended up taking her car while I and Reid went together. We exited the car and his arm slinked around my waist.

Before the door opened, I tried to calm my nerves. Even though I was here with Reid, there was one person I'd rather be with. I just didn't know what to expect. We haven't seen each other in nearly six months. I felt sick, what if he acted like he didn't know me? What if he still hates me? My mind continued to soar in different places.

The crowd of people caused me to snap out of it. Many people watched us as we walked in, and I kept my eyes on Amélie in the front the entire time. She gave me a sly smile and a nerdy thumbs up, directing me to her seat.

I anxiously sat down and looked around for anyone I knew. My eyes automatically connected with those of Kade's and I got up once again. Before I could start walking, Reid grabbed my shoulder. "Who is that man you're going to talk to?"

I look at him weirdly, "Kade is like an uncle to me. Get your arm off my shoulder."

He gives me a threatening look but I go anyway. His behaviour was iffy, that's for sure. But he needed to know that I was just his date to the gala, not his girlfriend. I reached the other table and hugged the man. He pats my back a few times before letting go, "Naomi! You look beautiful! Valentina has been looking for you everywhere."

I smile, "thank you kade, how's Elena? I haven't seen her in forever."

He smiles, "Elena is over there with Valentina." He points to the two women conversing in the corner, "but I have to go. I'll catch you later, kid."

I nod goodbye and head over to Miss Dani and Elena. They both scream when they see me and attack me in a giant hug. I try to control my laughter, "why do you guys act so surprised when you see me?"

Elena speaks first, "I mean look at you, Naomi. I remember when you used to follow D'andre everywhere, shopping for bows and toys." Valentina adds, "and now you're this independent, beautiful, young woman. You also look exactly like D'andre and it brings nothing but joy to my heart."

I can't help but grin at their comments. It made me feel relieved that I was glowing despite my mental health not being in the right place. As I continued to talk with Elena and Miss Dani, I felt eyes at the back of my head.

I hoped they belonged to the person I'd been wanting to see. I missed him, more than anything in the entire world. Gathering courage, I looked over my shoulder and my eyes connected with emerald green ones.

I immediately turned back and walked outside.

 Barely edited

Barely edited. My exams are starting in a few so I'll be diverting more attention to school. Have a blessed day/night!