Part 1

You may know what is the right thing to be done, but love stays the hand

Love is a downfall.

**

" No ".

Alicent doesn't say more, but she says it with all the strength she has, the strength she would have liked to use so many years before but that, maybe, she didn't know to possess back then.

"We will not accept Lord Tully's conditions, we will do without Riverrun".

"Do not be silly, Alicent" her father replies, with the same calm and almost bored tone he is used to have with her, "to refuse would be to lose any chance of help from the Rivers, do you not realize that more and more people are declaring themselves for the Blacks?" He makes a pause, just the time to color the voice with a note of affection. "Grover Tully is old and sick, it will not be a long sacrifice, after all..."

Alicent shivers, she is not even able to hide it. She would do anything for her children, she is not a stranger to duty and sacrifice. And yet, she feels she has suffered enough and, despite the upcoming war and the loss of protection, a small part of her cannot help but be relieved for Viserys's death. Not because she hated the man, but more because she loves the taste of freedom.

"No". And she says it, now, almost more to herself than to her father.

"Alicent, if not Lord Tully, you still have to remarry. With Helaena and Aegon married between them and Aemond betrothed to Lord Baratheon's daughter, we have no many more unions to propose. There is Daeron, of course, and there are the little princes, maybe, but you will have to do your part as well..."

No - but now she says it only to herself and not even out loud. She's become stronger, but maybe just not as strong as she believed. Not strong enough to oppose her father not even after all these years, not enough to abandon all her duties in spite of the illusion of being able to have rights.

She looks around seeking as always for a help. But, exactly as always, it's a vain and foolish hope: no one in the realm has ever been truly on her side, how can she still look for a friendly face now? Her son Aegon shakes his shoulders, her uncle nods at her father, all the other Lords and Sers of the Green Council look away - including Ser Criston.

"I will do what is necessary" she declares between clenched teeth.

**

" No".

Honestly she has not imagined a different answer, and the kind tone doesn't sweeten the rejection.

"Ser Criston, all I ask for is a way to step back from this marriage".

"Your Grace, I don't see how I could be of any help in the matter".

That answer is almost like a slap, not for the cruelty, but for the ability to wake her on the loneliness she has around her.