one

Elsa

Tomorrow was coronation day. My coronation day. I felt nausea overtake my whole being. I was frantic, walking around the room like a panicked cat around a cage. I would have liked to see one in person, and everything else in books I've read. But I happened to be stuck here for the rest of my life. The windows were slowly yet noticeably collecting a thin layer of frost. It was me. The sunlight was passing through it, melting the frost before being replaced by a new layer. It meant I wasn't calming down at all instead growing more and more frantic.

At midnight, they would open the gates to let in every piece of fine decorative material available for the coronation. I heard talk from the guards outside my room that they haven't started with decorating the palace grounds yet because of rain. They said the ballroom was all ready, what once was all too familiar was now covered in decor instead of snow.

My room, it's never locked. I just didn't go out by choice. Nobody came in, and I didn't answer the door for anyone unless it was a servant bringing food. Nobody knew me by my face except Mary, the only servant I let serve me. Everyone in the kingdom knew me by name, and they would never put a face to it. Sad, my life is.

I wasn't ready for tomorrow. Taking in slow, deep breaths helped me calm down. Thinking of me as this, a cursed person, running a kingdom made my heart sink and my stomach swirl, both not in good ways. I could escape. With the gates open and everybody busy, I could possibly be free. The freedom I was longing for since forever was within my grasp, I just had to take it.

A knock on the door was heard. "Princess?" It was Mary, who was just in time. I was starving and usually, food helped me calm down. I walked to the door and opened it slightly with a creak. Mary, holding a tray with two full plates and a glass of water, beamed at me unusually.

"Thank you, Mary," I smiled as I took the tray from her hands. "You seem to be happy today."

"Later evening would be the last time I would knock on your door, your Highness." She smiled. "You would be free to do everything you've ever wanted starting tomorrow." She reminded me of the coronation tomorrow. The nervous feeling came back and hit me like a wave.

"Yes, yes. Thank you again, Mary. For everything." I said, unintentionally adding more speed to my words.

"I must leave you now to eat, your Highness." She did a quick, deep curtsy and left. I closed the door with my foot. I walked to my desk in front of the window where sunlight was passing through and set the tray down. The gates outside were still shut, but in perfect view. I ate the steak I was brought, my tongue savoring the fine, exquisite taste. Then my thoughts were about enjoying everything about my life in the palace. Or at least everything that was enjoyable. I thought about the magnificent food, the soft, warm bed. I would never be eating the same or sleeping the same way again. I had my decision.

At midnight, I was going to escape.

Moments passed by quickly as I re-read my books for supposedly the last time and took a nap during the late afternoon. The sun was setting and I was served dinner, my last dinner, and I decided to wait patiently. The clock at the hallway would ring twelve times, and I would then know.

Time flew slowly, as always when waiting. But patience is the key, so after what seemed like forever, the clock sounded twelve times.

One. The gates started opening. Two. I mentally prepared myself. Three. The gates were open a bit wider than, I could see some horses pulling a cart inside through the opening. Four. The room was getting colder, so I wore my gloves. I felt the excitement and nervousness at the same time. Five. I heard a guard doing the rounds, his footsteps echoed across the hallway. Six. I waited for him to be gone as I wore my black coat and I took every bit of jewelry and gold I had. Seven. As soon as I knew that he was gone and had veered to another hallway, my hand fumbled for the doorknob. Eight. I twist it ever so slowly but without hesitation. I pull it towards me just as slow, peeking outside to make sure no one sees. Nine. The hallway was empty, so I opened the door wider, with a soft creak. I stepped out. Ten. I closed the door, and felt a rush to run. Then my feet were doing their thing themselves, guiding my way to the exit. Eleven. Everything was pretty much still the same since I last played along these halls. Twelve. "Halt!"

I stopped dead in my tracks. I turned around and saw a palace guard. My heart pounded too hard, my legs were shaking furiously. "Who are you?" asked the guard, with his beady little eyes suspiciously staring.

My mind shut down for a while, I mean, who was I? Am I really Elsa, the future queen of Arendelle? Without thinking, I freed one hand from my glove. I let my hand do a sweepimg motion towards the guards feet. Ice went flying. In a split second, his feet were covered in ice. I ran, as fast as I could. The guard shouted, more guards would probably follow in a while. My surroundings got colder, I was sure it was my free hand causing this. I didn't put it back on in case another guard saw me and I had to escape. I felt my heart jumping like crazy, my footsteps echoed very loudly against the marble floor, the wind took off the hood of my black coat. I felt a rush through my body that kept me excited and happy. It has been a while since I could say I'm happy.

A few turns to the left and a few to the right, I found myself outside the palace. The gates were across the grounds, so I ran, mentally saying goodbye to the fountain I admired. I heard guards behind me.

I planned to get myself lost in a village so that the guards wouldn't find me. And I could knock on doors to ask if I could stay there for a while.

I stopped, catching my breath for a minute once I was sure I'd lost them. I looked back and saw the palace and said goodbye to the horrendous life I had.