Chapter VII: Who Knows How To Shoot?

Nylah sat on the soft dirt, against a large tree. She watched the shadows dance across the forest floor as a slight breeze shook the limbs of the trees, making the leaves sway. She stared down at her hands, at her bloody and irritated knuckles. She congratulated himself on getting her gloves off first, unlike last time. It was shorter this time, and she silently thanked the Maker.

She stood from her seat at the base of the tree. She leaned against it, her hand pressing into the sharp bark as she wiped the dirt off her behind with her hand. She turned back to the tree and stared at the red, barkless circle she had created. Running her hand over the now dried blood she thought to herself, One day at a time. One day at a time.

When Nylah entered the village again, she noticed all the people gathered around Mando and Car, who was explaining to them that they needed to leave. The thudding pain had yet to leave Nylah's skull so instead of joining, she went straight to their barn. Mando entered not too long after. Nylah could tell he was less than pleased.

"Where have you been?" Mando asked. With that monotone voice, Nylah couldn't tell if he actually cared or not.

"I just took a walk in the forest."

"With raiders out there? Was that really the best idea?"

"Yes, because I am defenseless and was not in the Guild, assassins division."

"Nylah-"

"Mando," She interrupted him. From the stern look on her face with her lips pressed into a thin line and how her eyes insisted on pouring into his, Mando decided not to push her.

"There's a change of plan. We're going to teach them to fight."

Nylah raised her brow, "Fight? The Krill farmers? Have they ever actually ever experienced any kind of combat?"

Mando sighed, "No."

"Great, where do we start?"

-------------

Mando had explained the plan to her and she only asked two questions. Two records were broken. The longest Mando has ever spoken to Nylah at once and the least amount of questions Nylah has ever asked in one conversation. Cara joined them halfway through and gave her own suggestions and ideas.

"It would be best to have you on top of a building or in a tree behind us with your sniper abilities," Mando said.

"I would prefer to be on the ground with you all."

"Why?"

"Um, I just think it would be better."

Mando's stare lingered on her face and though Nylah couldn't see it, she felt it.

"Okay. I think our plan is solid. Let's go talk to the villagers."

Nylah gathered the people toward the east edge of the village, where the raiders first entered, before taking her position next to Mando.

"You got two problems here," Mando started. "You got the bandits and you got the mech. We'll handle the AT-ST," He gestured to himself, Nylah, and Cara, "but you gotta protect us when we come out of the woods and I don't have to tell you how dangerous they are."

"Cara Dune here was a veteran. She was a drop soldier for the Rebellion and she's gonna lay out a plan for you so listen carefully."

Cara took a step forward, "Now, there's nothing on this planet that can damage the legs on this thing so we're gonna build a trap. We're gonna need to dig real deep, right here," She gestured to her left at a nearby water hole, "so that when it steps in, it drops."