Prologue: Twenty Five

The golden sunset glistened on the unmarked cross headstone.

To Matsuda, it seemed as if he was the only one at the service who was tearing up. There were so many things he didn't understand. How his fellow officers could stand being so stoic, how they could bear the image of a life cut so short, how they could only remark on his life through his career. How to seemingly everyone in the world, that's all he would be remembered for.

"We've gathered here for your private funeral." Chief Yagami spoke solemnly. "The public has no idea you're gone."

Matsuda choked back a tear. Trying his best to be strong for his fellow investigators. No, screw the other investigators. He had to be strong for Ryuzaki. For L.

"I swear to you. We will catch Kira, and arrest him. That's our promise to you." The Chief was still giving his eulogy. "So you can rest in peace."

"That's right..." Light continued. "We'll catch Kira and avenge Ryuzaki. Solving this case will be our last gift to him. To Watari. To all of Kira's victims. I swear here and now, I will send Kira to his execution."

The silence stung. The evening grew dimmer. The sun began to sink below the golden skyline. The other men began to file out, all except Light. Who stood still at L's grave. Matsuda turned, noticing how he was being left behind.

"Is Light coming?" He asked in a hushed tone, as the Chief called "Matsuda!". Perhaps he's right. Light had a certain connection with Ryuzaki that nobody else had. Maybe he should be left alone for a while.

The sheer weight of grief was enough to slow each man's walking pace by a noticeable amount. They all walked together, but none could bear to say a single word. Nor could they, considering the life they celebrated was kept a secret. Matsuda stared off into the small cemetery. There are very few of them in Japan, and they're a rare sight for him. It was so eerie, how he could see so many graves packed together and stretched so far, and that each of them represents someone's story. He wonders how many other stories in the cemetery remain untold, like Ryuzaki's.

Matsuda had finally made it to his car, eager to spend some time away from the case. Light and his father agreed that everyone should go home for the night to process their emotions. That way they could come into work a bit more refreshed.

Matsuda leaned his head back on the seat, letting out a large sigh, and finally letting himself cry. It wasn't a loud sob, he was more of a sniffling mess.

That's when he heard the muffled sounds of shouting. It kind of sounded like Light? He turns his head to watch the parking lot. Sure enough, a few minutes later, he sees Light heading for his own car. As curious as Matsuda was, he didn't want to get involved in emotions that intense. Matsuda instead starts his car and drives away.