Names.

The importance of a name/its meaning can vary. To me I don't really consider meaning, I value how well they fit the character more then anything.

But since this is an idea/suggestion book, I will tell you that a name can influence a character. It could have a special meaning to your characters family or it's simply one of those names that get passed down every generation. Another example could be foreshadowing or a prophecy. The name could also reflect what time period or country they live in. I do this a lot.

In the times I've used names to have any significance was by coincidence. My moon witch character has the name Selene which literally means "The Moon." It was probably subconsciously. Either that or I'm a genius. I think the latter.

If you want a character to stand out don't go with the basic names unless you're like me and add a funky last name. I can't help it, I love the name Michael.
I would suggest names that are uncommon.... but not too uncommon to a point where its not even unique but just plain weird. Unless you're going for that. I would also say that if you have a cast of characters, their names should sound like they're apart of the same story. I especially say this for fantasy characters. Imagine a whole group with these magical names from this fictional language you created and then theres just an Emma in the mix.
Despite me saying this, there's exceptions so don't feel like I'm dragging your ideas down because theres always ways to play around with that sort of idea and make it fit nicely.