People are staring

Haerin threw herself back onto her bed. She flung an arm over her face and cursed at herself under her breath.

"Is it really that bad?"

"Yes."

Haerin felt the hard toe of Minji's boot bump against her leg, and then Minji was pulling her arm away. The overhead light assaulted her eyes and Haerin screwed them shut. They stung, burned like she was on the verge of crying, and Haerin wanted to scream.

"How mad is she?" Minji asked.

"Pretty mad," Haerin said, blowing out a heavy breath. "She told me not to talk to her for a while. Said she needed space."

"Ouch."

"Yeah."

Silence settled in the room, crawled up under Haerin's skin and made her squirm. She was restless and agitated, desperate not to cry. When the silence only continued, she suddenly sat up and looked at her best friend.

"Well?"

Minji's eyes widened. "Well, what?"

"You're supposed to say something," Haerin said. "You know, like, give me sage advice or something."

Minji snorted and shook her head. "When have I ever given you sage advice? About anything?"

"But you're supposed to help me with this," Haerin said, shoving Minji's shoulder. "You've been through it before."

"Haerin, there's no magic formula for coming out," Minji said. "You just do it." She shrugged her shoulders. "Or, you know, you don't. It's entirely up to you."

"But Y/n-"

"Y/n is upset because she doesn't want to hide your relationship," Minji said, "and that's understandable. But at the same time, Haerin, she knew you were still in the closet when you two got together. She can't give you ultimatums."

"She hasn't," Haerin said, collapsing back on her bed again. "She's always really understanding about it. She just gets frustrated sometimes, and I can't really blame her. I won't even let her hold my hand when we're out. It's like I'm paranoid. Every time she touches me, I stop her. I pull away, reminding her that there are people around. People are staring. People who could see."

"It's a small town," Minji said, nodding. "You know any old grandma who saw you two together would run straight to the clinic. She'd be on that shit like white on rice, and you know it. This goddamn town would out you before you ever had the chance to do it yourself."

"That's exactly my point." Haerin huffed. "With Y/n, it's different. I'm pretty sure she came out of the womb with a rainbow stamped across her forehead. That girl has been as gay as it gets since day one, and on top of that, she's got two moms. She never felt like she couldn't be who she is, you know?"

Minji nodded but didn't say anything. Her brow furrowed, just the smallest tick, and Haerin pressed her.

"What?"

"Nothing," Minji said. "It's just...Haerin, why are you so afraid to tell your parents? I know there are some real bigots in this town, but your parents aren't like that. They've always supported you. I mean, you've got the best relationship with your parents of anyone I've ever met."

Haerin stared up at her for a long time before nodding and letting out another heavy sigh. "I know," she said. "I can't explain it. I'm just...I'm scared. When I was with Niki, my parents seemed so happy. They loved him."

"Um, hello?" Minji let out a snort of laughter. "Your parents love Y/n more than any of us. Your dad takes her to father/daughter bowling nights at his work because you hate bowling. I'm pretty sure they love her more than you."