Unrelated Work: A Game of Chess & Talks of Occasional Loneliness

Author's Note:
Completely unrelated story, but since I don't know when I will publish something new in a while. I also wrote this in advance (may or may not be related to "The Inventor, Coordinator & Bonnie")

[Lumiose Forest, Kalos Region]

2 years, it's been 2 years since the Kalos crisis, an event caused by Team Flare that nearly ended the entire world using Zygarde, the region's pokemon of order. Two years since he had part ways with his trainer and his friends and two years he has been protecting this region from what was leftover from Team Flare's disaster alongside the two Order Pokemon's cores.

Greninja's Battle Bond ability with his trainer was what made it possible to keep the region at peace, sensing the remains of Team Flare's destruction in the form of large uncontrollable vines (or roots?) he became known as a local hero by the people who lived in Lumiose and by the pokemon. But every now and then, the fully-evolved frog pokemon kept feeling one thing and one thing only: loneliness.

Sure he has seen Clemont and Bonnie and Dedenne a couple of times, but those encounters were either brief or him seeing them pass through the forest as he watched from the trees. This was his current duty, protect the region until all traces of the crisis were gone for good.

It's currently nighttime in the region and Greninja could be seen sitting on a high tree branch, and across from him were the two pokemon who make up two different Zygarde or one in whole. Both of them have come to be known as "Squishy" & "Z2".

And between the two parties, a chessboard. Yes, a literal chessboard. And the three of them were in friendly competition.

"Your move", Squishy announced as he hopped back to Z2 after moving a chess piece. A pawn to be exact.

Greninja sat in silence for a moment, eyes closed, thinking about his next move. He opened his eyes and moved his piece. Which was also a pawn.

This was the three's third game of the night. The first two games being won by the two Zygarde cores for their cooperation. Is it unfair? Greninja didn't really take offense to that. Chess was a past time Squishy and Z2 thought of two years ago when they saw their friend/comrade feeling out of it. Did Greninja like chess? Not really. But it did beat sitting around on a nearby tree while watching the local Fletching flock fly on by. 

But for the first month he learned how to play the game, he annoyed the two Zygarde cores to death on why the King piece is rarely used. At that time, if Greninja asked about the King piece again, Z2 would definitely blast him with Core Enforcer until the ninja-frog ended up in Southern Kalos.

The game continued with Greninja advancing, and with Squishy and Z2 occasionally discussing their next move before one of them takes a turn in moving a piece. After a while of playing, Greninja broke the silence by starting a conversation.

"I know I'm just asking this now, but where did this Chessboard come from?", Greninja questioned. He awaited a response from the two and immediately got one shortly after Z2 hopped back to Squishy's side.

"A lost and found bin", Z2 answered.

"We have prior knowledge on the game and thought of sharing our interest of it with you", Squishy added. "Your move, by the way"

Greninja picked up another chess piece and moved it to another square on the board. "And this was your idea to help me with my occasional loneliness?" 

The two Zygarde cores stared at Greninja in silence for a moment before Squishy spoke up again to break it. "Did it work?"

Greninja nodded in response.