Chapter 19

I stand there shocked.

"Uh Dean... What's up? Why are you here?" I ask, confused.

"Maddy, I've been thinking... What I did was wrong. And I'd just like to apologize." When he spoke it sounded as if it was difficult for him to pronounce the syllables.

"Uh... Thanks I guess...." I stutter this conversation was so awkward. I didn't know what to say.

Before dean could respond Macy butted in. "Wow isn't that nice! How bout you two go out and clean up this whole mess." Her sarcasm was compelling. Before we knew it Macy had pushed us out the door and locked it behind us.

All I wanted to do was start banging on the door and beg Macy to let me back in. This was the one thing I didn't want to do especially with Dean.

"So..." He trails off, "what now?"
"Let's go for a walk." I blurt. I grab his hand and head for the elevator.

I swear it is the longest minute of my life because when we exit the elevator on the ground floor I just about want to scream. Dean notices and looks at me wide eyed.

"I'm sorry," he says "I'll go. I'm only making this worse." He turns to leave when all of a sudden I stop him.

"Wait Dean, I don't want it to end like this. Friends?" I ask with my hand extended towards him.

He stares at me skeptically for a second and then proceeds to shake my hand.

"Sure, Maddy." He says as he turns away and leaves.

•••

Back in the elevator I am so shocked by what has just happened. Now I am ready to just go back to the apartment, take a shower and go to bed.

As I reach my floor the metal doors open and I am greeted by Audrey. She looks horrible. Her face is red and she's shaking.

I step out of the elevator. "What's wrong Audrey?" I ask in a hushed tone.

She just stares at me for what seems like years then she answers. "Fransisco and I are no longer a going concern." Her face is emotionless as she steps into the elevator. As the doors close she begins to speak, "congratulations on ruining my life. You've got him under a spell. He is in love with you."

The doors closes and Audrey is gone.

I stand there for a moment. I know I had to do something. I run to Fransisco's apartment and I knock on the door.