Chapter Nineteen

'What the hell is going on in here!' Hena's Dad's voice is very loud and it wakes both of us up with a start.

'Dad, what?' Hena pulls the covers up, 'What are you doing?'

'What am I doing? What the hell are you two doing?'

'Dad, it's okay.'

'It certainly isn't okay, Hena. This isn't done. And certainly not under my roof.'

Hena's Mum comes in and gasps and puts a hand over her mouth. 'You are silly girls. What have you gone and done now? Roland will have to be told.'

Roland, the very name sends a shiver down my spine.

Hena's shoulder is against mine and she takes my hand and gives it a tight squeeze.

Hena's Dad sees this and growls.

'Enough of that. Both of you, get dressed. Kast, I'll call Carol and she can come to pick you up.'

'That's okay,' I grab my dress and shoes and quickly pull them back on. 'I'll go right now.'

'No, Dad, she doesn't have to leave,' Hena grabs my hand again and I hold back a whimper. 'Kast, you don't have to leave.'

'You heard what your Dad said,' I reply. My voice is just as rough as it was earlier, for a much different reason though. 'I have to go.'

'Dad, you don't have to tell Roland anything. It doesn't matter.'

'Of course, it matters. Did you kids think that the tests wouldn't mean anything?'

'What are you saying?'

'I'm saying, that the pack has plans for Kast and they don't involve my daughter making a fool of herself. Or you for that matter, Kast.' He frowns at me. 'I'm very disappointed in you both. This is appalling behaviour.'

'Dad, it's not.'

'Not another word. Kast, I believe you know your way home.'

'Dad, please.'

She turns to me, seeing her like this - I've never seen her like this. I don't know what to do. Especially with both her parents there. I want to comfort her but I have a feeling that would make it worse.

I try to work a smile onto my face. 'It will be okay.'

'No, it won't.'

'Dad..'

'No, Hena. Kast. Now.'

I try one last smile, trying what we were taught in class about how to control emotions, outlining one above the others but I don't know if she picks up on it.

I walk as fast as I dare out of the house and I'm a few blocks away before the tears come. And the realisation that I'm walking home in heels.

I take them off pretty quickly, but the ground is cold and hard under my feet. Hena - I'll have to get a message to her sometime.

Back home, it's quiet, Carol opens the door for me and she sees me with my tear-stained face.

'Kast, dear, what happened?'

How can I tell her? I already disappointed Hena's parents. How can I disappoint her?

'Kast, come here, sit on the couch with me. Come on.'

The phone rings and the sharp trill of the ringtone is harsh in the late evening. 'Who'd be calling at this hour?'

'Hena's Dad,' I tell her, wiping the tears away with a tissue. I don't remember crying this much before, even as a child. 'I've disappointed him.'