01

YAZUKA - Yakuza, also known as gokudō, are members of transnational organized crime syndicates originating in Japan

YAZUKA - Yakuza, also known as gokudō, are members of transnational organized crime syndicates originating in Japan. The English equivalent for the term, yakuza, is an individual involved in a criminal organization.

The Inagawa-kai (稲川会) is the third largest of the several groups, with approximately 3,100 members, based in the Kantō region in Japan.

1980

Chapter 1

That long-ago day, a chilly dusk is breaking across the horizon, and the winter in the air promised to be a harsh one as it is getting to the end of December. But the sky, so recently a hue of drab ash, is trying to imbue some loveliness into the harsh evening - flush in a peachy glow, edged with silver along the eastern skylines, blending into endlessness in a tint of aubergine.

It is an exceedingly lovely sight, splashed across the landscape in hopes to melt the shards of ice in the most hardened depths of souls - if only the possessor had taken a glimpse toward the radiant strobes.

"Rai," a panicked voice utters in utmost urgency as if nothing else in our vicinity matters, let alone the pretty pinks and the purples of the descending heavens above us.

The only other sounds that pierce the atmosphere are those of a rattling key that's struggling to find its breach on the wooden front door, much due to the fact that my trembling hands cannot control its bow.

My boyfriend grabs the tool from my clasp and twists it into the keyhole before walking in with haste in his footfalls, "Rai - you have to listen to me, else, you are going to get us killed. All of us."

I hunch to take my slippers off and put them by the side of the umbrella holder as my boyfriend releases a low sigh - a hiss almost, conveying his anger.

"I-I'll get it somehow," my own voice sounds foreign to my ears as I force my phrases out. "I-I promise, just, please give me one more week - one last week."

Silence ensues.

And then,

"Where the fuck is the money?" Taehyung sounds far more blatant and it hauls me out of my senses for a moment and I flinch at the loudness of his voice.

His watchful eyes catch my reflexive movements and my boyfriend sighs before crouching a little so he can seem less intimidating, but the vulgarity in his voice does not cease as he speaks again, "Rai, I have to keep this roof over our heads, just as much as you do. Putting your wages in my custody would assist us in longing for a future, would it not?"

My eyes blur thin into the shadows in his deep irises as we stand an arm's distance away from each other, anger simmering under his skin and the heat of its terror searing into mine. At this point, in the depth of this topsy-turvy scenario, I cannot help but crumble into myself at the thought of how fate has been flinging unimaginable events such as this my way, taking sharp turns before I can muster the courage to face something like this.