Homelessly Searching

"An act of kindness can go a long way, yet sometimes those acts of kindness are few and far between."

"Oh, no," Sirius said. "It's still six months away from Christmas, and you're already waxing poetic about how you want to do something for someone else again."

"In Tokyo Godfathers, three homeless people found an abandoned infant. In Holiday Rush, the Williams family feeds the homeless for Christmas. And in a Christmas Inheritance, a spoiled heiress brings a homeless person in from the cold."

"And I hate Christmas movies." Sirius rolled his eyes. "But of course, of all the Muggle things you would end up being into, it had to be those bloody Christmas movies."

"They leave you with a feel-good feeling," Regulus said. "And Aunt Lucretia likes them as well, giving me an excuse to watch them."

"More like you got her addicted to them," Sirius shook his head. "I wouldn't have let you move into my flat if I'd known I'd have to deal with Christmas movies non-stop every year."

Regulus lifted an eyebrow, "Where else was I supposed to go? I couldn't depend on the kindness of Fabian and Gideon forever."

"How did you end up with an Order of Merlin again?" Sirius asked.

Regulus froze, his right arm reaching up to grab his left, clutching his wand as his mouth pushed together. He looked away.

"Those scars," Sirius looked down at Regulus' arm, frowning.

"We've discussed this," Regulus said. "I'm lucky. Kreacher disobeyed my order." Which, of course, made Sirius raise an eyebrow. "Alright. So he found a loophole in that I'd told him to leave and hadn't said anything about coming back."

"So that's how you ended up at Gideon, and Fabian's a complete bloody mess, and Dumbledore had to be called in?" Sirius said. "This is the first time I've heard the House Elf being involved, but it doesn't surprise me."

"Yes, well, surprises happen," Regulus said, looking out the window hoping for an owl.

"Waiting for something, oh, family head?" Sirius said.

"Don't," Regulus said. "It's not that big of a deal."

"No? You're considered the most eligible bachelor in the entire magical community, even above myself."

"Sod off," Regulus said. "I've already told mother I won't be made a cuckold by my own wife." He took a deep breath. "And I'm still looking for her." He almost said them, shaking his head.

Sirius raised an eyebrow. "That's not what she nearly had a heart attack over, and you know it. I didn't think you had the guts in you, but you're not going to find some Muggle princess in some homeless shelter, Regulus, but it's disgusting that you're even thinking about it."

"Excuse me?" Regulus said, turning to look at Sirius, his eyes wide. "What are you bloody talking about?"

"It's bloody patronizing and predatory, Regulus," Sirius said, holding up a hand. "I know, I know. I shouldn't talk about it, what with how many girlfriends I've had and how I've not found the right one—they've never been able to put up with you."

"Hey," Regulus said, wrinkling up his nose as an owl tapped at the window. He got up and walked over, hoping it was the letter from McGonagall, having alerted her the previous summer as there was a slight chance it could have happened then instead of now. But if it didn't come, if the magic wasn't there, he was likely out of luck.

"It's meant as a compliment."

"How?"

"You really think I want to marry a girl who can't stand my little brother?" Sirius shook his head. "We've mended our relationship, and I don't want to throw that away."