Fakely Family

"I see the fake Santa. Over and out."

Bernard frowned, wishing Mrs. Clause hadn 't given him the assignment of overseeing his sister's group on their final assessment before they were allowed to graduate. " Wait? You want me to do what? "

"Well, she's your sister, isn't she?" Mrs. Clause said while Santa watched, letting her take charge, having handed over everything related to the elf school to her. Even Bernard hadn't expected her to learn everything about the school backward and forward. A few of the Christmas Elves who'd graduated noted George, the Head Elf for the mock Santa's Workshop at the school, was far from thrilled at her intervening when she felt the need to.

"Well, yes," Bernard frowned, his brain trying to devise a reason he shouldn't. "Wouldn't that make me biased?"

Mrs. Clause felt as Head Elf, he knew how to put such biases aside, but the more significant issue was he needed to know what was going on, that there were issues, definite issues with Mindy and the other members of her group. "Is he in front of the pet store?" the radio Mindy made crackled. "Where all the puppies are?"

Bernard found himself rolling his eyes and fighting back a sigh. "How did he get lost?"

Mindy glared at him, reminding him of how Mrs. Clause said, " Keep a close eye on your sister, although I think you 'll recognize the problem the moment you see her. "

And he had. Bernard had definitely recognized the lack of Christmas Spirit, his mind wondering if their strained relationship, one he 'd long been unsure of how to fix, had anything to do with her not understanding Christmas. As the radio crackled, he took a deep breath, and Sammy piped up. "Sorry. I'll go get him on track."

Mindy frowned, pushing the button. "Cam! We're going to flunk the final test because of you!"

"What?" Cam said, his voice obviously straining.

"Says the elf who called the Mall Santa a fake Santa," Bernard said, reaching for the walkie-talkie.

"What?" Mindy said.

"Hand me the walkie-talkie now," Bernard said.

"You're not supposed to be interfering with our test," Mindy said. "If you do, it means," she said before shoving the walkie-talkie into his hand. "I hate you!"

And then she took off, heading in the opposite direction of him. Bernard craned his neck. "Wait. Where are...." He let out a sigh, pushing the button. "Cam, don't listen to Mindy. The three of you aren't going to flunk the test. I'll meet you and Sammy at the pet store."

"What about Mindy?" Sammy asked.

Bernard sighed. "She's not with me."

"Wait. We did the whole walkie-talkie thing so we could go on our own to pick up as many Christmas wishes as possible from the kids visiting Santa. Her giving you the walkie-talkie defeats the purpose."

"I'm aware of that," Bernard said.

"How are we supposed to find her without using magic? We're supposed to use as little magic as possible?"

"Well, I'm allowed to use magic," Bernard said. "But this is the mall. We don't need to use magic."

He teleported to a safe place near the pet store, making Cam jump. Sammy arrived shortly after, frowning at him. She asked, "How did you get here before me?"