Figgy It Out

"This is disgusting," Mindy said, frowning as she pushed the figgy pudding away from herself.

Bernard stared at her as if she 'd gone insane.

"You actually like this?"

"Yes," Bernard said.

Mindy frowned. "Of course, you would like this. You're Bernard. You're weird." His sister took a deep breath as she sat there, far from thrilled at having to spend time with her older brother. "Humans like this?"

"It was trending enough to end up in a Christmas carol," Bernard said.

"When was this Christmas carol written?" Mindy asked.

"It's from the eighteen hundreds," Bernard said.

Mindy frowned, then said, "Bernie, you're old."

"I'm not old."

"Okay. So I know you just reached adulthood, and you're not old like the elders on the council are," she said. "But you certainly act like one. I mean, a song from the eighteen hundreds isn't currently trending. You don't know any current Christmas songs, do you?"

"I don't? How about 'Last Christmas' by Wham! From 1984 with a modern rendition by Ashley Tisdale in 2006, Ariana Grande in 2013, and Carly Rae Jepsen in 2015. Then there's 'This Christmas' by Donny Hathaway, with versions from Train, Seal, and Richard Kincaid. And..."

"Okay, stop." Mindy took a deep breath. "This doesn't make you look—I don't know. Any less weird. That's not normal." He opened his mouth to protest. "Even for a Christmas Elf!"

He shrugged it off.