Chapter Fourteen: Cry for Help

As I slowly walked through the sand to catch up to a waiting author on the far side of the beach, I couldn't help but think back to Yuzuki's parting words. My arms crossed over my chest, eyes transfixed onto the ground in concentration. I mean, it's not like Hirose gives me any special treatment by any means. I'm constantly teased and constantly mocked just so his sadistic urges are satisfied. He even does the same to Rikako, which shows I'm not the first to be tormented like this. Although, Yuzuki has known him the longest. That'd mean he would know a lot more about Hirose then me. He wouldn't say something unless he really did think I was being treated differently. Right? Maybe?

"About time," Hirose huffed when I was within talking distance. I had been so dedicated on figuring things out, I had hardly noticed me closing the space between us.

"Sorry, Yuzuki was telling me something," I replied quickly, examining the blank scenery I ignored on the walk over. "There... aren't that many people around."

"The filming crew rented this whole place out while they were filming. They didn't want any strangers screwing up their work." Out of seemingly nowhere, two children raced right between us, a young boy and girl. They nearly knocked me off my feet. "This area is to keep the crew's kids occupied while they work," he said, watching the boy chase after the giggling girl. "I wonder if those two will hook up one day," Hirose chuckled.

Both children had chocolate brown hair, but the boy had eyes to match his shiny locks while the girl had teal irises that reflected the setting sun. "They're just kids, Hirose. They probably still think kissing the opposite gender will give you cooties or something."

"Kids these days are mature for their age."

I snorted. "I highly doubt that."

"But that must have been around the time you had your first love, right?"

"No, I was a little older then what they are." I pointed out haughtily, moving to the refreshing shade under some trees. Despite wearing a light dress and big floppy hat, I was still burning up under the scorching summer heat. I sank down to sit on the soft sand, taking my hat off to pull my hair back into a ponytail.

"Oh? Elementary? Middle school?" He pressed on, moving closer to my sitting side. I glared up at him with a red hair tie between my teeth.

When I removed it to thread it through my hair, I muttered out, "...Second grade."

"Was it a fellow classmate?" When I gave a solemn nod, he continued his questions. "A kid who was good at sports, or a funny kid that stood out... one of those two, I'd imagine."

How and why is he so spot on about these kinds of things? It's creepy. "He ran really fast. He wanted to be a track star when he got older. Hey wait, why are we talking about this!?"

"Aww, but we were having such a lovely chat," he laughed merrily.

Hirose situated himself beside me on the sand as I scowled in his direction. "No way. Talking to you just feels like I'm giving you material for your books."

"That's not why I talk to you, Silvia. Weren't the first two chapters of the serial story I sent your magazine mostly fiction?" He poked my forehead. "Because a certain someone didn't do anything worthy of being usable material."

"...I suppose so."

"Don't act so sulky then," he joked, dropping his hand from my head. "Besides, I mean to make proper use of what happened in reality for chapter three."

Does that mean our date wasn't a complete failure? I know that the draft wasn't altered all that much in terms of what happened, but I didn't get the entire chapter since it WAS just a draft. I just thought he would put in some random stuff like usual. Huh...