Chapter Two

Willow's life had been controlled for her since the day she was born. She didn't mind it much - it was the duty of The Princess to live for her people - but she sometimes felt the need to escape, just to find a short break from the ceaseless monotony that was her life. That was how she ended up in the forest with Mary, her maidservant.

It was early enough in the morning that the droplets of dew were still visible on the blades of grass and, most importantly, early enough that she wouldn't be missed. In the serenity of the early morning, Willow could let herself relax in her forest sanctuary with the tranquillity of nature shielding her from all the responsibilities she had to pay attention to. She was allowed a moment of calm and nobody ever had to know.

'Are you enjoying yourself, Your Highness?' The woman asked. She had the same question ready every time they left the castle, and indeed any time they spoke within it. It would be irritating if she didn't know how much Mary genuinely cared for the answer. As it was, she made sure to keep a gentle tone in her response.

'Yes, very much so. Thank you, Mary,' she answered, and let herself smile at the unfiltered happiness filling her servant's expression. It made her feel warm.

Mary had become her maidservant when she was just six years old and, twelve years later, Willow found it hard to picture her absence. Recently she'd tried; Mary was retiring next week so she'd need to get used to it. However, it was made difficult by the uncomfortable feeling of trepidation that filled her every time she thought of Mary's retirement. She'd have a replacement, of course, but this time it was her job to pick someone, adding another responsibility to her list and with it immeasurable stress. She didn't know much about any of the servants in the castle, barely able to name half of them, so didn't know how to begin in picking one to stay by her side for the years to come.

She threaded daisies together whilst considering the predicament that she found herself in. Inspiration struck while she was half way through the third bracelet.

'Mary?' She gestured for her servant to take a seat by her but the woman didn't seem to understand, remaining standing in front of her.

'Yes, Your Highness?'

'Who would you recommend to take over your job?' A look of surprise briefly crossed Mary's face before it was schooled back into the familiar subservient look she saw echoed in the eyes of all the castle's servants.

'Me, Your Highness?' Willow resisted the urge to roll her eyes, opting for a hum of agreement instead. Mary continued.

'Well, Your Highness, I wouldn't presume to tell you who to entrust this honor to. However, if I must make a choice I would recommend that you consider Joan. She's always expressed a particularly profuse concern for your well being in my presence and I think that she'd serve you well.'
'Excellent, thank you, Mary.' Her servant beamed at the praise. 'Would you be so kind as to introduce us?' Willow trusted Mary's judgement but still felt it proper to at least meet Joan before spending every day with her. As it was, she couldn't even match the name to a face.

'Of course, Your Highness. She would be most honoured, I'm sure,' said Mary.

'We'll go back to the castle now then,' Willow decided, 'and I shall meet Joan.'

'Very good, Your Highness.' Mary curtseyed before offereing a hand to help her up. She took it, stood, and led the way to the castle gate while the sun struggled to pull itself fully past the horizon.

She had always loved watching the sun light up the kingdom, illuminating the merry bustle of the town while it came alive in the early morning. It felt like hope, endless possibilities and paths waiting to be taken. The rays of the sun appeared differently to every observer and she hoped that they would guide her well when she became queen. For now, however, the light simply told her to go on and so she did, entrusting herself to fate's plan.