Chapter 30

Dallas

I woke up in a good mood. Today Nick was going to take me on a date, and I felt excited about it. I hadn't been on a real date in a long time, I don't think that going to the mall counted. It was going to be interesting to see where Nick took me. 

Standing in my room, I went to my dresser. Ruffling through the clothes, I couldn't find anything that was perfect for a date. I ended up settling on a simple white black t-shirt and black jeans. I hoped Nick wasn't planning on anything fancy. 

A knocking came on the door. I opened it to find Nick standing there, wearing simple clothes. Right then, nothing fancy. 

--------------------------------------------------

First, Nick brought me to a wonderful little cafe that served coffee. We sat there for two hours, talking about what we wanted for our futures. I told him that I wanted to go to college, and that I wanted to own my own apartment complex that I could rent out to troubled youths. I wanted to give them the home I didn't have.

Then, we went to an amusement park. It was so much fun, riding everything there with him. I loved watching his face as it went from tense—he was still stressed about the rogues—to more free and open. It was nice, to see him relax. And I was happy it was with me that he was relaxing. 

Now, we were sitting at dinner. Nick had let me choose the place, and since I had a craving for burgers, I chose Five Guys. 

"So, was today a good date day, or not?" Nick asked. 

I shoved a fry into my mouth, talking around it. "Yesh." 

"Good. I was honestly a little worried that you wouldn't enjoy yourself." Nick rubbed the back of his neck. 

I smiled. "I enjoy anything that has to do with you, Nick." 

Was that a blush spreading across his cheeks? It was! Oh my god, I made Nick blush. 

Good, he deserved to feel what I felt every time he got close to me.

He smiled, and my heart stopped. All thoughts left my head, other than thoughts of how adorable and sweet he was. 

Nick might have a mean bad boy persona at school, but here, with me, he was the sweetest guy I had ever known. He was shy and anxious that I wouldn't like what he did or said. He was always worried about my feelings and protected me from anything that might hurt me. He had given me everything I'd never had.

 A friend, a protector, a family. 

I looked into his eyes, and at that moment, I couldn't stop myself. 

"I love you," I breathed. 

His entire body froze. He stared at me for a long moment, something entering his eyes that I couldn't read. 

I regretted my words immediately. He wasn't going to say them back, and I had just made a fool of myself. God, why did I have to say those words? 

I shouldn't have done that. 

Then, so quiet I almost missed it, he whispered, "I love you too." 

My heart swelled, and tears rose to my eyes. I hadn't heard those words in such a long time, they brought something out of me. I furiously blinked to clear away the tears, but they kept coming. They spilled over my cheeks. 

Nick looked panicked. "What's wrong? What did I do?" 

I laughed through my tears. "Nothing, you idiot. They're tears of joy, dumbass." 

I realized something else at that moment. Looking him in the eyes, I said, "I think I'm ready." 

his eyebrows shot up. "Ready for what?" 

"You know...ready." I wasn't going to say the words aloud. "Think dirty." 

Nick looked shocked, then overjoyed. "Are you sure?" 

"Yes." I thought about it. "Maybe? I'm pretty sure. Let's just try, and if it doesn't work out, then we'll stop." 

"Okay. In that case, hurry up and finish eating. I want to get you home," Nick said smoothly, his voice shifting into a deep tone. 

It sent shivers down my spine. 

Tonight would be...interesting to say the least. 

But I was ready. I was the readiest I had ever been in my entire life.