Chapter 1

You struggled to maintain your total concentration breathing as you chased a demon through a forest while being pursued by another. Though you wanted to stay focused on the mission, you couldn't help but wonder if the water hashira, who you were assisting on this mission, was judging your shortcomings as you constantly felt his piercing blue eyes glance in your direction. Giyuu Tomioka was always so calm and collected. Even now as he faced off with a third demon, his face was emotionless and his movements steady.

Compared to him, you felt like a flailing fool, no better than when you'd first picked up a katana. You'd volunteered to go on this mission specifically to show off your skills so maybe he'd agree to help you improve them. You furrowed your brows, determination growing within you. You weren't going to let this opportunity go to waste. You spun around, and using the momentum of your spin, made your move.

"Water breathing. Sixth form: Whirlpool!" you exclaimed, the air around becoming an extension of your sword, slicing right into the demon and cutting him in half. Then, as he was down, you moved again without rest or hesitation. "First form: water surface slash!" Your blade cut through its neck and it began to disintegrate.

I hope he saw that. That ought to have made a good impression, you thought. You wanted to continue the chase, but an all too familiar pain running through your forearms made you freeze. You dropped your katana, one hand gripping the other arm as you sucked in a sharp breath, finally losing control over your total concentration breathing.

"(L\N)!" you looked up at the frantic call of your name. Giyuu was sprinting towards you. You furrowed your brows. The third demon was still alive behind him. So why was he running towards you? And even more confusing was how the demon had lasted this long against a hashira.

Giyuu shoved you aside as soon as you were within reach, and as you stumbled back, you finally realized why. The demon you'd been chasing had made a u-turn and started charging at you. You gasped as it slashed at Giyuu with its sharp claws, cutting through his uniform and into his chest. Meanwhile, the third demon grabbed his leg and bit it hard.

The clawed demon immediately resumed its initial goal of attacking you. It lunged toward you, but this time you were prepared. Performing another water surface slash, you cut off its head. And just a few moments after, the third demon was decapitated as well by Giyuu.

"Tomioka-san, are you okay?" you asked, rushing over to him as he looked down at his bleeding chest. You reached a hand out to inspect it for any poison. As your hand grazed his skin, Giyuu quickly stepped back.

"I'm fine," he said. You noted the slightest tremor in his voice and he seemed to hide his face from your view by letting his hair hang over it as he looked down. You wondered if he was trying to hide his pain. "Let's just go to the butterfly mansion since it's not too far from here."

"Oh, okay," you said. "Thank you, by the way. I can't believe I didn't see that demon coming. And I'm impressed that you sensed it somehow. Your perception skills are incredible!" Giyuu shrugged. "And you know... it'd be nice if someone could help me improve mine."

You waited for an offer, but he didn't supply any sort of response at all. You frowned but kept walking, joining him in silence.

You'd always looked up to Tomioka. Ever since you met him shortly after he became a hashira and he was sent to rescue you and a few other lower-level demon slayers after you got caught up in a battle with a lower moon. It was thanks to him that everyone on your team lived to see another sunrise.

Much like the one that had just finished when the butterfly mansion finally came into view.

"(Y\N)-chan!" a singsong, if not slightly whiney, voice cried out as you neared the front gate. A girl of about your age ran towards you, tears in her gray eyes and your crow on her shoulder. You hadn't even realized it had left. "Oh my gosh! Are you okay? Your crow told me someone was injured. Do you need medical attention? You're not gonna die, are you?" You laughed.