Prologue

Raven's POV:

I was standing in the boys locker room just ending a call from my mother. She was trying to get me back saying she's sober now and she hasn't slept with any of her new boy toys. Which is just complete bullshit. I literally could hear the dude in the background. Mother can you like not??, I thought. That's nasty! Suddenly the door to the locker room bangs open to reveal, Kageyama Tobio, my best friend. He stands there looking pissed off.

I continue to stand there deadpanning at the door. "Dude", I said. "What? You don't need to be so dramatic"

Kageyama looks at me even harsher than before. How is that possible, I thought. "Where the hell were you Raven?! Practice already over. You should have been here by now. You haven't been showing up to practice in a couple of days!'

"I've been busy." I said calmly. While staring at him with a blank expression.

"What the hell do you mean?! Nothing should be more important than winning the Junior High Competitions!"

"Well what about me!" I shout back, finally having enough of his bullshit. "You KNOW I've been dealing with my mother! You know how it was for me when I was living with her!"

"Well maybe, since you aren't coming to practices, don't come back. Tch you're just as useless as your mom!" Kageyama stands there, with wide eyes. Looking like he wants to take it back. But the damage has been dealt.

I stand there with a hurt look for a second. Then the hurt turns to pissed expression. I stand up to my full 165cm height with my eyes burning with rage. Walk straight up to him scarily slow, grab a fist full of Kageyama's jersey, and yank him so he's staring directly in my eyes. Even though he's a lot taller than me, he's trembling under my cold gaze.

"You know what?" I ask, with a monotone voice and blank stare. "I'm the rock of the team. I'm the one that you all depend on if you're struggling. I'M the only one who can spike you fucking king's toss. I'm the one who helped you with all those bullies. I'm the one who keeps order on the court. I guard my teams backs. You guys don't even need to know where I am to feel that I'm there waiting to help and receive the hits no one saw. So tell me Kageyama Tobio." I spat his name out with venom. Kageyama flinched from the heat. "Who was one that came up with the strategies to help you all when? Who was the one that made sure you all had food so you guys could keep up your energy? And WHO thought of you all as my family when my own family was going to shit!" Kageyama had his eyes wide open. Probably just now realizing the reason I haven't been coming to practices is because my mother's trial is coming up.

"How 'bout I do you all a favor since I'm so useless. I quit." I spin on my heel and head towards the locker room door. Leaving Kageyama standing there open mouthed, shocked, and in realization.

I hear shuffling and grunts just outside the locker room. I yank the door open and stood in front of the whole volleyball team with a blank face and dull eyes. They all speak at once.

"Wait Raven-kun! Please don't leave!"

"Raven-san, we need you!"

"You can't leave!"

I stared straight at them and said, "Move" in a monotone voice. They all scrambled to get out my way.

They knew not to mess with me when I become completely blank face, stare, and all.

Little did the Kitagawa Daiichi volleyball club know that that would be last time they saw "Kitagawa Daichi's Fox.