The Petition

"Oh!!! Petrich!" Cattleya gasped, immediately going to him and clasping his hands in hers

"Oh!!! Petrich!" Cattleya gasped, immediately going to him and clasping his hands in hers. "Dietfried said nothing of you being here!"
Petrich greeted her and kissed her hands , and shook his head at Dietfried. "You did not even tell Cattleya, of all people??"
Dietfried grinned. "The only ones who knew you would be here to present are the heads of each house. They are not unlike me in having a penchant for a bit of drama, so I highly doubt any of the guests know."
"I'm certainly not offended." Cattleya insisted, taking her hands out of his and touching either side of his face, as a mother would her son. "Just overjoyed to see you alive and well. Claudia will be most pleased!" She turned to her daughter. "Isn't it wonderful, Ellenora??"
The half grown girl with the violet eyes with a satin gown to match them and swept up raven hair looked at him levelly. Petrich knew this look. She would use it when she felt deserving to be treated as an adult. Straight back, squared shoulders, firm lifted chin.
In this state, she was a very powerful noblewoman not to be toyed with, and Petrich approached her humbly.
He bowed just as he had bowed to Violet Baugainvillea upon first meeting her. Tradition was to bow and not move a muscle until the lady curtsied and was standing straight again. When he straightened, Petrich knew that tradition called for taking and kissing the lady's hand, but he decided against this, for she wore no gloves because of her youth and kissing them naked would be a bit too intimate between a man his age and a girl of 14.
Furthermore, touching her just might open her thoughts to him. Petrich refused to do such a thing without her consent.
"Thank you for attending, Ellenora," he said, catching himself before calling her his pet name for her, which had simply been 'Nora'.
"Grateful to have had an invitation, Mr. Hollenburg. Captain Baugainvillea is a dear family friend and made our attendance possible."
Cattleya laughed lightly, with Dietfried at her side. "Such formality between such good friends!"
Petrich saw Nora's cheeks flush a delicate rose color, as she cast her eyes down to the floor. He felt wretched for her. There was no telling how much Cattleya and Dietfried discussed during their journey. Given Nora's expression, it had obviously been too much. Surely now the confusion was becoming maddening.
              Before he could say another word, however, the study door came open and through it walked in Sir Frederick Heinzephlar, the patriarch of the Heinzephlar family, and Grand Dame Julianna Beaudierre, the matriarch of the Beaudierre  family, whose grandchildren were to marry.  With them was none other than Sir Reginald Morriss, chatting chummily with both of them, but stopped short when his eyes fell upon Petrich Hollenburg.
            Morriss frowned and said nothing as Petrich stepped forward and bowed to Sir Frederick and the Grand Dame respectfully.
             Dame Julianna smiled, and said to Dietfried nearby. "Ah, your mission is accomplished. Thank you, Captain Baugainvillea, for bringing forth the long suffering Celestial Scribe Hollenburg for the presentation.  Our Grand Showing would not have been complete without him."
              Dietfried bowed to her. "Oh, anything for you, my dear, Dame Julianna."
              Dame Julianna turned back to Petrich. "Your completion of the commission despite all of your hardships is certainly commendable, Scribe Hollenburg, and you shall be well compensated for all of your effort."
               "Quite right!" added the 6'4"  and stout Sir Frederick.  He drew out a parchment scroll from within his decorated uniform tunic and unrolled it onto a nearby table. "Therefore, we, as in ourselves, and a great many other contributors to Justitia Observatory, wrote up a petition that, not only reinstates you as a member of the guild, but also recommends you are to be part of the observatory's advisory board."
                An audible cough came from behind them where Sir Reginald Morriss gawked at them unbelievingly. 
              "And as you see, we have High Master Scribe Morriss here to add his signature." said Sir Frederick, snapping his fingers to a footman to bring over a pen and inkwell. "It is the last signature we need from the guild heads to make an official proposal."
            When Morriss did not make a move, Sir Frederick took up the pen and offered it to him. "Your signature, sir." he said, his voice not booming, but unmistakably that of a former military officer.
           Morriss laughed incredulously. "But. . .Sir! You surely can not be serious! Hollenburg has been dismissed from Justitia over the last seven years! To petition for him to be a part of the advisory board, is preposterous!"
           "We knew of the controversies surrounding the dismissal and the Rykindella commission." Dame Julianna retorted, "We feel that justice has been long delayed in that respect. It was then that the petition began and has now gathered full support from all. . . other than you, Reginald."
            Morriss crossed his arms stubbornly. "And if I leave it unsigned?" he countered, angrily.
            "Then legal action is in order for the attempted assassination of a celestial scribe!" answered Sir Frederick, again offering the pen.
              Morriss' mouth hung open, his eyes bulged, and his arms fell out of their stubborn fold. "But. . .attempted assassination?? That's not true!!" he cried.
               "Would you want to argue it out in a court of law with witnesses against you?" Sir Frederick offered.
               After a moment longer, Morriss, rather shaken now, took the pen and scribbled his name at the end of the lengthy list. Without a word, he made a short bow and left the study, not to be seen throughout the rest of the evening.
             Dietfried immediately poured drinks for all (and even a legal drink for young Ellenora) and made a toast to the reinstatement of Petrich Hollenburg back into Justitia Observatory.   All lifted their glass to the toast and drank. 
             When demanded to speak his thoughts, Petrich only grinned, had more drinks poured and made his own toast.
              "To the houses of Heinzephlar and Beaudierre, for giving me, a freelance scribe, this commission to join their families in celestial contract. To Captain Baugainvillea and his brother's family who cared for me so that I was given peace and serenity to complete my commission. And above all. . ." Petrich raised his glass higher, "To Claudia and Cattleya Hodgins, who ever so graciously housed me in my exile." He then looked over at Ellenora. Her cheeks still flushed, eyes sparkling as violet tinted diamonds, "And in it gave me hope for the future. A TOAST!"
                All cheered, all drained their glasses. 
                Dietfried sat down his empty glass, rubbed his hands together in satisfaction, then offered his arm to Cattleya.
                 "Since I shall not be presenting this evening, come with me, my dear Mrs. Baudelaire-Hodgins, and let us enjoy ourselves."
               Cattleya smiled and signaled over to Ellenora to come along, but Dietfried interrupted.  "Give Petrich a bit of time with Ellenora before the showing begins. I'm sure they have lots of catching up to do."
              "True enough," said Cattleya as they turned to leave the study. "Ellenora has been acting very odd since our arrival, as if she had never even seen Petrich before."