Chapter 3: Luck

"Oh Marinette..." Sabine said as she looked at her daughters mouth in all of it's messy, bloody glory. "You have to be more careful when you're walking down the stairs, especially when you're carrying something heavy, alright?"

Of course, Marinette couldn't bring herself to admit what had really happened to her earlier that day. She wasn't concerned for Chloé's well-being (admittedly, she wouldn't mind if her mother yelled at her like she knew she would if she found out what she did), but more-so she cared about her reputation.

I mean, no one likes a snitch.

No one.

She doubted if the school would even do anything, since her father could absolutely cut the school's funding in half with just the snap of a finger.

"If it makes you feel better, it's not that noticeable honey! I barely noticed when you walked in, I doubt anyone will mention it..." her father, Tom, murmured through a forced smile.

He always was a terrible liar.

Marinette sighed and walked back to the front door of the bakery she lived in. "Is it okay if I go to the library? I've been eyeing this book my Laure Cathedral for weeks now."

"Sure, honey. Don't forget to bring your umbrella and put on a warm coat!"

•••

Marinette nervously gripped her hand on the umbrella she was holding, since it was just now dawning her that it was his umbrella,

The son of her all-time favorite fashion designer's umbrella was in her hands?

She felt like she couldn't loosen her palm for even a minute, as the wind was particularly strong right now. In fact, it was a bit odd, since it had been normal just yesterday.

Marinette walked into the library's doors, shaking off her soaked umbrella behind her and stepping into the room.

The librarian seated near the front door smiled. "Welcome! Is there anything I can help you with, dear?"

"No thank you, ma'am. I already know what I'll check out today." she replied before she went to her usual section; Romance.

She saw it front and center on a table sitting near the sign and quickly picked it up as if someone would snatch it from beneath her.

Laure Cathedral was her favorite romance author, she could just bury her nose in one of those books and read non-stop for hours. Ever since she heard about a new book being announced she marked her calendar for the date.

Although, she ultimately put it off, since she's had a bit of history with renting out books...

Embarrassingly enough, she hasn't been able to return to the library near her school ever since she lost one of their books for three weeks and found it again slightly bent (thanks to her father moving her bed with it underneath the legs).

This library does her just fine anyways.

She hands the book to the librarian, who promptly scanned it and set it down in front of her. "Could I see your library card please?"

"Yes of course, I just need to find it..." she mumbled as she fished through the small pink cross-over purse that rested underneath her white puffy coat. "I...I'm sorry, it's taking me just a minute."

"Take all the time you need, miss." the woman smiled.

Unfortunately for Marinette, her bad luck continued, as she practically turned her entire bag inside-out, finding loose coins, a broken hair band, and some breath mints, but no library card.

"Oh...I'm sorry I can't find it..." Marinette solemnly grumbled, reaching for the book again. "I'll put this back, sorry."

"Oh, it's alright dear! How about when you come to return the book, you bring it back to me and show me your card, alright?"

Marinette sighed a breath of relief. "Really? Thank you so much, ma'am, I'll return it as soon as I'm done reading it."

Maybe there was something good about today.

•••

Marinette held both her umbrella and her book in her arms, which were pressed tightly against her chest to leave no room for them to slip out of her grip.

The streets were noisy, just as they always were, although she didn't mind it much. She was only really bothered by the hail, which occasionally flicked itself into her eyes.

The sound of the raindrops and the hail hitting her umbrella was starting to get a bit distracting, as she felt like it was the only thing she could focus on while she mindlessly walked her route home.

She had walked the route a couple dozen times before, so she had no problem remembering how to get home. It was pretty routine, just how she liked it.

She stopped at the end of the crosswalk, patiently waiting for the pedestrian signal to turn on. To pass the time, she watched as the cars drove by and laughed a bit at the tires squealing under the small current the rain had formed.

The stoplight nearest to her turned yet, and she knew the crossing signal was bound to flag any minute now.

Just then, two things caught her eye; the glimpse of a little girl in the corner of her eye running up behind her, her backpack making a swishing noise as it bumped up and down as she ran, and a black truck not slowing down, even though the light was red.

Instinctively, she backed off, although the little girl only sped up when she saw the pedestrian's sign light up.

The truck wasn't about to stop, and neither was she.

Before she even had the time to think about it, she grabbed the girl by the hoodie of her jacket, causing her to fall back slightly. The truck was barely phased by this, and drove past.

Marinette doubted the fact it would have hit her had she not done anything, but it would have been pretty damn close.

"Hey!" the little girl yelped, blissful of her surroundings.

"Sorry, sorry..." Marinette blushed, letting go of her jacket and backing away a bit. She was at least relieved the kid was okay and not out of harms way.

The little girl scrunched her nose up and continued to make her way through the crosswalk, perfectly untouched.

Marinette followed a bit behind, barely even noticing an older woman bump her shoulder and slightly tug at her puffer's hood.

The woman didn't acknowledge it at all, and Marinette just shrugged it off, not putting much thought past it.

•••