Chapter 12

Sean

I want to believe her. More than anything. I feel like if I just reach out and grab it, everything I've ever wanted could be mine - but, I thought so the last time, too. This time, it needs to be Sam who reaches out and grabs me.

Sitting down at the long dining table, I catch Marie's eye and the former Luna smiles kindly at me. Something about her expression piques my interest. I suppose it's possible she knows about Sam running out on me before. She definitely picked up on the tension between us earlier. Maybe she thinks it was awkward instead of heated.

Sam follows behind and slips into the seat beside me, touching my shoulder lightly as she lowers herself into her seat. Hayley catches the contact from the corner of her eye and turns to observe us with a big grin. Sam studiously ignores Hayley's glances and turns to me, eyes big and bright, stretching up to place a soft kiss on my cheek. Right there in front of everyone. It's a bold declaration and I love it.

Her hand lingers on my forearm as she faces the table again and launches into a conversation with Kim, Cooper's assistant. She's asking about the guest house where she was staying the night of the fire, whether it's being rebuilt, and how the owner is doing. I would have thought it was the last thing she'd want to discuss, but she seems relaxed and at ease. Without even thinking, I tangle my fingers in hers on the table while I speak with Cooper. A little squeeze back from Sam tells me she appreciates the gesture.

And so we sit and chat, eat and drink, the evening passing quickly in the company of good friends. All the while, there are brief touches and intimate glances. While Sam stayed with me immediately after the fire, she wasn't keen to go out anywhere further than the bar, so this is all new and wonderful. It feels like we're a proper couple, not just hanging out, and playing house.

Sam laughs and smiles, and it's so good to see. It's only when we get to the end of the evening and are saying our goodbyes to the Jones' at the front door that I realise she was absolutely fine tonight. Despite being in the presence of multiple shifters and people she didn't know, Sam coped amazingly well and I'm so proud of my girl. We're still holding hands when we get to my truck. There was no conversation about where she would stay tonight. It seems as if we're on the same page.

Opening her own door, she skirts past me and I lean over her to put her seat belt on. She giggles, trying to push my hands away, but it's no use. When it clicks, she smiles at me, and it melts my heart. Our faces are just inches apart and her breathing deepens, excitement flashing in her eyes. I cup her cheek and press my lips to hers tenderly. She hums in pleasure and leans into me, enjoying the brief kiss.

"Let's get home, Sweetheart." I straighten and slam the door, hurrying to the driver's side.

"I like the sound of that," she murmurs as I slide in behind the wheel. Her hand rests on my knee, giving it a quick squeeze, and I stifle a groan as her fingers drift higher. She strokes my thigh absentmindedly, getting dangerously close to my aching cock with each pass.

"Sam, if you don't want to end up bent over the hood, you need to move your hand."

She pokes out her tongue cheekily before trailing her fingers across my crotch and shamelessly along my fly, licking her bottom lip.

It's a struggle to keep the car on the road.

"Fuck, Sam!" Her laugh is carefree as she takes her hand back, and I dare to hope I'll get to hear that sound for the rest of my life. Once I get her to my house, however much I want to drag her to my bed, I have to tell her what I am. If she's going to leave me, it's better that it happens sooner than later. My head spins with thoughts of how Cooper and Rex both kept their human mates after they found out what they were.

I reach out and grab her hand, lifting it to my lips to kiss her knuckles.

There's hope. I have to believe it.