Chapter one

( I really don't give too many fucks about the copy right shìt, just don't steal my whole entire story or plot word 4 word it's annoying...anyways enjoy)

I never understood why he didn't love me the way I loved him. I always wanted to know if he just seen me as his best friend. What was so hard about being real with the people you claimed you love ?

Was it all too much? I will never understand Mason and why he did the things he did or simply act the way he acted. I knew that growing up in a broken home was often too much for him.
As I sit across from him in the small booth at the back of restaurant. And I couldn't help but notice how he always kept his loosed curls in large neat twists. I guess that was a perk for him being only a quarter black. I don't know, his pale green eyes held a darkness in them as he scanned over the worn out menu.

Mason had a small but yet noticeable beauty mark on his lip, along with a deep scar that traveled from his top right lip all the way up to his eyebrow. It was kind of disheartening but gave him more edge than he needed. Not that he need much coming from our small but yet overly populated White town. Everyone knew everyone including any dark story or past. Whatever you had to offer someone knew about it.

The black population in this hell whole was a little less than three percent, if you are willing to consider me as well in the total. Crazy right? I know that's Spring Gap, Maryland for you. Rich white folk couldn't give a care in the world about anything but money, politics, and making sure theirs snobby little bastards had the best education possible.

" Nalu did you hear what I said?" The deep gruff voice pulled me out of my wandering thoughts and snapped me back into reality. "I-I, um, no I didn't sorry. What were you saying?" I said sheepishly as i tucked a thick wad of curls behind my ear.

Sick of these wash n go styles ready to get some braids.

" I said that I know it's been a while since we have last hung out. But that doesn't mean my best friend should give me the cold shoulder while we're out having lunch." Mason huffed. He could be so spoiled and snobbish at times it was clear that he was raised with a spoon in his mouth. He tries so hard to fight his true nature that every once in a while it slips out and his mask cracks.

" yea because you decided that having a girlfriend gives you a right to blow me off whenever you feel like it." I answered him with slight annoyance in my tone. Mason had gotten a girlfriend for all of two seconds and was already treating me like shit. His girlfriend of three months, Becka Hancloth, went on a vacation to West Manor out the in springs. It was basically a place for all the popular kids who parents was loaded enough to pay for the overpriced country club.

" It wasn't like that and you know it! You just want a reason to be mad at me. Just grow a pair and find more friends instead of wanting to be under me twenty-four-seven." Mason shot back at me with a menacing glare. I opened my mouth to speak but it was too late as one of the waitresses finally came up to our table.

" Hi, my name is Katie and I'll be you guys server this afternoon. Can I start yall off with some drinks?" Her country accent rang through my ears as i hummed in response.

Why is her hair so oily looking?

" yes , hi Katie. I'll take a water please, and I'll also like to order yall greenhouse special salad with a side of grill chicken." I gave her small smile while passing her back the menu. I get the same thing coming to this place I didn't need to look.

" and I'll take the Steak medium rare, with the greenhouse sides and potatoes. Can I get a rootbeer? No ice." Mason ordered as well not even giving her a glance. He was so rude it made no sense.