三つ

Five days after the incident, holes began to appear in Kiyoshi's body. It began with itchiness and in leisure time, maggots began to grow from them and lay their eggs, slowly guzzling his flesh like egregious termites destroying a wall. Five days since the monster hadn't shown itself to him.

Kiyoshi could only think of two reasons, it had taken a break, or maybe it had vanished completely as though he had never come out from the shadow. Nevertheless, Kiyoshi is only certain about one thing —  it left him with a hex he'd be carrying til' he draws his last breath.

He curled on his bed, watching the fabrics dance and wave as the night's air whooshed through the small crack in his window. The darkness engulfed him in their deathly arms as the sounds of owls faded with his thoughts.

Kiyoshi could feel them, their disgusting existence living inside of him. Crawling, shifting, and eating him alive. Each day, they were hundreds of them, and they continue to grow within the holes in his nerves.

The door creaked and a shadow emanated from the light. "Kiyoshi-kun, you have to eat. You need your strength. Look, mom made your favorite soup." A mellifluous voice speaks. Kiyoshi knew that voice. It belongs to his sweet, gracious sister.

"I'm not hungry," he said coldly at once. He didn't even bother to turn to look at her. He knew she'll only get scared when she sees how he looks. Kiyoshi doesn't want that. He doesn't want his sister to be afraid of him.

"But you need strength—"

"What's the point? I am nothing now but a worm nest. A disgusting rotten flesh."

"I am a dump—"

"No! That's not true!" Hanako protested. He could sense the pain in her voice and the tears that began to well in her eyes.

"You're still my brother. You're still Kiyoshi, and nothing changed," she said. "You— you are not a dump."

A bitter smile formed on Kiyoshi's lips. "Really, sister?" He said with a delight. Hanako smiled and nodded her head rapidly. "Yes,"

Kiyoshi took off his blanket and stood on his bare feet. With slow big steps, he approached his sister. He stopped in front of her, the worms gleaming against the light and he looks at her in the eyes with a stupid grin slit on his face.

Hanako flinched and she took a step backward.

"How about now, sister? Do I still look normal?" He asked.

Hanako quivered and a tear fell from her eye. Her hands trembled and the tray slipped, the bowl hit the floor and shattered into pieces.

"Kiyoshi-kun, you— y-you look—" Hanako could barely finish her words as fear took over her whole body.

"A rotten flesh?"

Hanako placed her hands on her lips to prevent the sobs that rummaged their way out of her throat. The tears spill from her eyes and it makes Kiyoshi mad.

"Are you afraid of me, sister?" Kiyoshi asked. Hanako whimpered and averted her gaze to the ground. There was no answer and he doubt she will give any. Of course, she wouldn't say anything because she doesn't want him to be upset. But Kiyoshi knew she's disgusted by him. And the truth of it crashed him into dust.

He picked up the broken piece of glass and clenched it in his hand. Hanako followed him with her eyes.

"Please tell me, sister, it was not me who was ugly. It was the curse that made me ugly," Kiyoshi said. Hanako stopped and looked at him.

"I'm sorry," He whispered and he brought the glass toward his face. A tear escaped his eye. He pressed it against his cheek and slashed it across his face. The sharp thing slouched as it tore his nerves, squeezing the blood out of the gash. At first, it came thick and strong, flowing through his fingers as they clasped the ripped flesh. He felt the blood move over his hand, the thick fluid no warmer or cooler than his own skin.

Hanako screams helplessly as she begs him to stop.

Blob. Blob. Blob. He could hear nothing but the blobbing of the blood draining the life from him. The scarlet liquid pooled on the floor and with it, the terrified screaming of his sister echoed in the cold brooding night.

THE END.