CHAPTER TWO: The Principal of the Matter

"Which will you choose?" Mason asked to me.

A block party is in full swing, and I just learned that all three men I met at the single-parent group live on my street.

I joined Mason for dinner. As I join Mason on his front lawn, he hands me a freshly grilled burger on a plate brimming with side dishes.

"I couldn't resist this smell." I said to Mason.

"Now that I know you're my neighbor, maybe I should grill every night." Mason said to me.

Together, I chow down on juicy burgers. Other people pass by, but it may as well be the two of us alone for how attentive he is.

As an ice cream truck rolls into the cul-de-sac, several children run out from a nearby yard to beg their parents for a treat.

After I and the guys join the throng, a little girl runs up to Eli and pulls on his pants leg.

"Daddy, money now." The little girl said to Eli.

"What do we say?" Eli asked the little girl.

"You never say 'please;. You just tell people to do stuff." The little girl said to Eli.

Mason chuckles, but while he's distracted, a slightly older boy reaches into Mason's back pocket and snags his wallet.

"Shaun, that is not how we act!" Mason said to the boy.

"Says who?" The boy said to Mason.

****

I sit with Landon on his porch steps as Mason and Eli's kids make their cases for ice cream.

"Do you ever miss when Alice was that little?" I heard Landon asked to me.

"I adopted her as a pre-teen." I said to Landon. 

"Rowan was such a little punk, but I miss when he relied on me." Landon said to me.

"I wish I knew Alice then..." I said to Landon.

A shadow falls over me as a teenage boy walks up beside me.

"Can I get some ice cream, Dad?" The teenage boy said to Landon, which is Rowan.

Without responding, Landon tosses the boy his wallet. The boy thank him then runs into the street.

"Wow... Rowan's so polite. Are you sure he is your son?" I asked Landon in shock.

"Don't let the tattoos fool you. I'm a perfect gentleman." Landon said to me with a smirk.

"I'll believe it when I see it." I said to him.

Landon gestures to the street at the young children.

"You ever think about having one the natural way?" Landon asked to me.

"I want to have a baby for sure." I said to him answering his question.

"I do, too.  We must be gluttons for punishment.

"Or softies." I said adding Landon's sentence.

"Better than being hard." Landon said.

Landon catches himself and laughs. I join him, laughing until my ribs are sore.

"In matters of the heart, I mean. Matters of the bedroom? Hard is best." Landon said with a smile.

"Especially if you're trying to have a kid." I said to him.

"But seriously. Right partner? I would have another in a minute." Landon said to me with a playful smile in his face.

"Same here. Maybe someday..." I said with a smile.