CAMP NIGHTMARE

The last day of 9th grade, finally. Just a few seconds more, 5, 4,3,2,1.

            Riiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!

            Jake busted out of the school’s twin doors, followed by his friend, Ron.

            “Jake, wait for me!” shouted Ron.

            Jake and Ron had been best friends since they can remember.  Though they are practically inseparable, they were two very different people.

            Jake was the typical high school jock. He was blonde, blue-eyed, tall and muscular. Ron, on the other hand, is the typical high school nerd. He was super-smart, very skinny, and wore big-framed glasses.

            “Come on, dude. Let’s go. The bus is here!” Jack shouted to his friend.

            “Yes, yes. I’m coming.” Ron replied while catching his breath.

The bus came and they went inside. They talked about the most awesome summer they will be having. Jake and Ron have been talking and planning about the new camp that they were attending to for 3 whole weeks. It was a nature camp, so they were going to sleep in log cabins and play sports all day. They have got it all planned.

            “Here’s your stop boys.” said Carl, the bus driver.

            “Thanks, Carl. See yah.” replied Jake.

            “Hey, I’ll see you later, then.” called Ron to his friend as he ran towards their house.

            “Yeah, later.” replied Jake.

-----------

            “You be careful, okay, Jake?” said his mom, with a little tear on her face.

            “Mom, I’m not 10 anymore. I’ll take care of myself. Please don’t cry in front of my friends.” whined Jake.

            They were now at the bus station, waiting for the camp bus to pick up all the campers.

            “Ron, remember. I put your pills and your inhaler in the side pocket of your carry-on bag.” said Ron’s mom.

            “Yes mom, I know. I will miss you.” Replied Ron as he hugged her mother tightly.

            Just then, a bus pulled over. The other kids said their last goodbye’s and started to load the bus. After a few, the bus was moving.

            “Goodbye, mom and dad.” Jake waved goodbye.

            “Bye, mom” Ron shouted to his mother.

            It felt good to feel the cold wind in their faces. After about 7 hours of non-stop travel, a wooden arc saying “Welcome to Camp Lakemont” welcomed them to their destination.

             Camp Lakewood looked awesome. It was just like Jake imagined it. Log cabins on the left side, a basketball and baseball court on the right. And, an Olympic-sized pool just at the center. It was like a dream come true.

            “Hello there, boys. I am Marv Simmons, your camp director. Let me show you to your cabins.” said a tall guy about 24 years old.

            He led 5 of them-the newcomers-to a stone path and inside a spacious cabin that can house about 8.

            “Here you go, just get settled in and dinner will start in 2 hours, at the mess hall.” instructed Marv. After saying so, he left.