prologue

(a/n: this story will be in the same au as teacher. meaning 'her' in the story is actually y/n from teacher! aka seungmin's gf that hyunjin has/had feelings for:>)

Dear Mr. Hwang Hyunjin,

We are pleased to inform you that....

fuckhyunjin lets out a sigh of relief, tears stinging just behind his eyelids as he rereads the first line of the email, hands running through his hair and staying on his head as he leans back into his chair. he actually got in. he actually. fucking. got in. he starts to chuckle in disbelief, rereading the letter just to make sure he wasn't imagining things, that his brain wasnt playing some sick game with him. the dark in his room is illuminated by the blinding light of his pc and it makes his eyes sting, but he refuses to blink as his eyes nervously flit across the screen, dancing with the letters that mock him from behind the glass. 

he actually got in. 

his phone rings, buried under the heap of clothes he tossed aside on his bed as he was in the middle of fixing his closet. he hurriedly checks the caller id, with the intention of hanging up. but then he sees it's her. he doesnt even think twice, answering it before instant regret washes over and he sighs to himself, disappointed in his desperation to hear her voice. 

"hyune?" her voice is poison honey, trickling down his throat so painfully he almost feels the burn when he swallows. that nickname out of her mouth is daggers straight to his heart, he almost wishes he could reach through the phone and yell at her to shut up. his throat is dry when he opens his mouth, the air harsh as he breathes in, tries to gather his thoughts and debates on what the fuck to say. 

"hey." his tone is cold, and he mentally kicks himself when he can hear how dismissive he sounds. 

"sorry to bother you its just... seungmin told me that your application results might be emailed to you today. have you checked?" 

of course. seungmin. ever since she got together with seungmin it's like its all she was. seungmin's girlfriend, seungmin's plus one, seungmin's forever and only, seungmin's soulmate. but what about him? what about being his friend? 

"uh..." he stares at the screen of his computer, big bold letters staring straight back at him. "not yet." he lies. maybe he wants to keep this to himself first. 

"oh." her voice drops in disappointment and hyunjin can't help but roll his eyes. 

"is there... something else you needed to say?" he asks, sounding impatient. he is. 

"uh no.. just.... i really hope you get in. genuinely." 

hyunjin hums at that before muttering a low 'thanks.' he doesnt wait for her to reply, instantly hanging up and throwing his phone back on his bed, after turning his notifications off. he's not even sure why he lied, all he knew was that he wanted to keep this moment to himself for a while, let the realization really sink in. 

he got accepted into his dream university. 

into his dream program.

 sure, he'd be thousands of miles away from his best friends, but there was one pro to that: 

he would be thousands of miles away from her.