Chapter II

°•. ❃ .•°
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶  Responsibilities  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

≪ °❈° ≫

"Come on 'Teyam!" His sister called out from two trees further. The two kids snuck in the early morning light.

"I can't see home anymore At'anau, we're going too far!" Neteyam whisper-yelled for his sister to hear, scared to get caught by someone who'll surely tell their parents about their whereabouts.

"I know the way back brother, just hurry before they're gone!" At'anau on the other hand wouldn't mind meeting one of the people at this time.

Neteyam jumped from branch to branch, long slim limbs fitting through the split tree as he followed the rustling and the sound of his sister's voice.

Just on the treeline of the quarry he could make out her sister jumping down to the damp moss beneath. The girl waited for her brother and signed for him to be quiet. The big leafs behind her blocking the view, but it looked like she knew what would be behind them.

At'anau peaked through the small crack of light through the leafs and pulled a big one back just a little for her brother to look through.

Just as Neteyam wanted to scold his sister for tricking him he saw something move in the treeline on the other side of the quarry.

Just where the water meets the ground stood a cub Hexapede. It's long snout just on the surface of the water, quenching its thirst.

At'anau held her head next to her brother's, nudging him a little so she could see better as well. "I saw them yesterday around Hometree's remains, usually they're around the wetlands environment, but look."

"You were at Hometree?" Neteyam scolded her sister before she hushed him, but it didn't get unnoticed by the animal.

The big little creature staggered back into the woods it came from. By its olfactory organ that allows it to sense danger quickly in swampy areas it noticed the presence of the two kids.

At'anau sighed, pulling the leaf away a little more to see if it was really gone. "I wanted to show you it up close, why couldn't you be quieter."

"Dad usually hunts those, he said." Neteyam ignored his sister's disappointment. "no, that's mom" she corrected, eyes still on the treeline in front of her. At'anau swore she sensed steps on the other side of the quarry.

Her twitching ears were soon answered with the cub returning now with its parent, mother if At'anau wasn't mistaken. "Tsmukan, nin." She called for her brother to look.

Neteyam watched his sister walk in the quarry, exposed to the animals and walk towards them carefully. She reached in the small pouch around her hip and held out some herbs and plants she pulled out of the garden around her house.

Candy for the Hexapede in front of her. The six legged creature's ears twitched and the cub looked at its guardian who eyed the not so complete stranger, but potential danger.

Patiently the girl inched forward, not trying to scare the creature and reached her hand out, allowing the animal's outstanding ability to pick up scents to pick up hers. Her odor, along with that of the herbs she held were enough for the creature to reciprocate the investment she had in them.

At'anau crouched down, looking less than a threat and held out the herbs. She stood in the shallow water that didn't come past her ankles and looked behind her at her brother who had been watching her from the treeline, hidden.