Chapter 11

Jonny did wake and he heard the shower running and grinned. He rose to join her. Not even he would be able to make love to her again but it would be lovely to stand entwined beneath the hot, drumming water and glide his hands all over her and feel her hands on him. Yes, it would be lovely and, well......you never knew.........!

He chuckled and eased out of the bed and ran naked to the bathroom. She was making some kind of racket in there! He threw open the door and yanked back the curtain.

No!’ she screamed and spun away from him.

Oh dear God. It took him a moment to realize that it wasn’t the shower water cascading down her cheeks, but a river of tears from her eyes and mucus from her nose and she was trembling and shaking and near hysterical with grief and pain.

‘Bea! Sweetheart! What is it? Oh, darling what is it?’

He stepped into the shower and grabbed her to him, smothering her against his chest. She tried to fight him off.

‘Don’t, sweetheart. Oh, Bea, I can’t bear it. What’s the matter?’

She couldn’t speak and a terrible dread gnawed at his guts.

‘Oh God, you haven’t found a lump? Bea, for Christ sake tell me! They can do all sorts today sweetheart......it doesn’t mean. Oh Christ ....oh please, please, Christ!’ His fear and dread seared her.

‘No. No, Jonny. It’s not that.’

‘Promise me!’ he bellowed. ‘In Jesus’ name, for the love of God, Bea, promise me!’

‘I promise, Jonny. I promise in Jesus’ name, it’s not anything like that!’

He crossed himself. Jonny made the sign of the cross.

‘Thank God.’ He knelt and crossed himself again, that’s how much he loved her. ‘Thank God,’ he repeated and rose and gathered her in.

She sobbed against him and he held her. He scooped the water and gently bathed her face.

‘Hush. Ssshh,’ he begged. ‘Gently, gently. Ssshh. Ssshh. Hush, now. Gently, gently. There, now. Hush. Tell me now. Jonny’s here sweetheart. Jonny’s here.’ He tried all manner to soothe her.

He turned the shower off.

‘Come along. Let’s get you dry and back to bed. Come along. You’re going to do as I say for once in your life. Yes. Jonny’s in charge. Heaven help us. You can even wear your nightie,’ he promised.

He helped her out of the shower and gently rubbed and patted her dry. He wiped her face again.

‘Stop it, now,’ he said. ‘Just as I get you dry, you’re all wet again.’

She still shuddered and shook and tears still splashed down, but she was not so hysterical. He had been fearful he would have to slap her to bring her under control and he did not want to do that. He would hate to have to do that.

‘What a state to get in, hmmm? What for? What’s it all for? No, no. Don’t start again. That’s enough. Don’t, sweetheart; you know I can’t bear it. Whatever it is we can sort it out. Don’t we always? ‘Cept it’s usually you sorting me. We’ll see it through together,’ he continued to dry her.

‘Sit there just a minute while I dry myself. I’ll get your robe and then I’ll make a nice cup of tea. That always helps doesn’t it? Oh Bea, throw me a line here; please help me, I’m fucking useless at this,’ he nearly broke down himself.

‘I’ll phone Caro, she’ll come – she’ll know what to do.’

‘No!’ Well, that was pretty definite. He finished drying himself.