Prologue

Kathryn:

Sienna's head throbbed relentlessly. She threw back the thin cotton sheets, running a hand through her dark hair. Her palms were clammy, shaking. Sweat marred her brow, which was also crinkled deeply as she frowned to herself in the darkness.

Sienna glanced at the small opening in the stone wall. Sunlight had not yet graced the Earth with it's presence. Sinopia would not be pleased at being woken at this hour; but it was necessary.

The vision had been darker than any before. It was crucial that Sinopia know the future of the Order, and the world, should Sienna's dream become reality.

Sienna shivered. There was no way to ward creeping cold of the darkness after a vision.

Then again, discomfort was merely a small price to pay for being a Seer. For the Earth to grant one sight of the future, one must first give to the Earth. Sienna rubbed her arms, remembering the trade she made in her youth.

She had to give herself over to the darkness and to the light, act as a diplomat between them. She was neither in cohorts with demons, but nor was she considered among the heavenly races.

Sienna was simply accepted, a messenger of sorts for all to utilize. Her body was her own, but her mind belonged to those above her.

She was to receive glances of what others were doing, or what they would do, for the benefit or malady of all. And so, each night, and even sometimes in the day, her mind would wander the realms, and see the efforts of others to better, overpower or destroy the Earth that had granted her this power.

The cost of such a gift was just standing by. She could not change the visions she would see, lest she endanger herself and others around her. Sienna was not allowed to alter fate because of her sight, and also forbidden to enter the minds of the Elder Races. Bad things happen when one tampers with fate, and especially the balance of worldly powers.

Humans, though, were malleable. They were considered the weakest race, easily overpowered, easily duped. Sienna herself was human, born of a shepherd and his wife. Her duty was to help protect her own kind, as well as the Elder Races.

Which was why she now padded across the stone floor of the temple, weaving through a seemingly endless maze of private chambers and chapels. She hurried, holding out a small candlestick holder that emitted flickers of orange flame.

Sienna reached her destination. She took a breath and rapped upon Sinopia's door. After a moment the door was opened by a small girl.

Her eyes widened when she saw Sienna. "Seer," she greeted reverently. Sienna gave her a small smile.

"Good evening. Or is it morning now? Never mind. I must see the High Priestess, immediately."

The girl bit her lip. "I don't know if-"

"Enter Sienna," came a voice like velvet from the other side of the door.

The young maid bowed and opened the door, and Sienna crossed the foyer and closed the gap between herself and Sinopia within a blink.

"Apparition," commented Sinopia casually, "you never cease to impress me, Sienna. Eavesdropping on the Elders are we?"

"They taught me." Sienna answered, feeling a bit dizzy after bending time and space to move through it quickly. "I'm still learning."

"I'm glad they have accepted you. You should feel honored. Humans are rarely graced with their presence, let alone welcomed into their realms."

"They know I cannot harm them or any others. I am an observant. It has been many years since I became a Seer. They have long since granted me audiences, lessons, advice."