Chapter 5

Kriv:

As blood dropped to the ground from the robes of the acolytes, seven dark red puddles began to form around their feet, one for each acolyte. The middle acolyte rumbled, "Kill her. Do it now, or the dark lady will become impatient and demand to see her death in person."

Illendriel licked her stark black lips as she looked at the puddles of blood. Her red eyes and red tongue contrasted from her pale gray face as they followed the expanding edge of the puddles.

"Look at her," the acolyte rumbled, "she is nothing more than a vampire or a geist, lusting for blood and death. Do it, kill her." The acolyte turned his gaze towards Thane as the other six kept their heads toward Illendriel. His robes shook as he roared, "What are you waiting for? Do it! Slit her throat! Now!"

Thane looked at Sylvia, who was watching Illendriel lick her lips at the pools of blood. She noticed Thane glance at her and looked up at him, shaking her head. She whispered, "I don't think we should kill her. We don't have any evidence, no reason that she deserves to die." She looked at the acolytes and then back to Thane, "They said the High Priestess would come, let's just wait for her to give us a reason."

Thane looked down at Sylvia, pausing for a moment. He looked over at Illendriel, wetting her black lips at the sight of the blood. He looked at the acolytes, their sleeves dripping blood as black flames continued to smolder on their hands. Finally he answered the middle acolyte, "I will not kill her in cold blood, she may be frowned upon by our order, but the High Priestess herself must give me a reason to murder this girl. We will wait for her personal words."

The acolyte shouted at Thane, "Blasphemy! This is blasphemy! You dare disregard the orders of the Dark Lady herself? You will be punished! When she gets here she will-"

Suddenly the acolyte's mouth snapped shut. All seven of them turned to the door behind them as it slowly creaked open. The gap in the doors was completely black, with no light behind it whatsoever, and no light from outside able to peer in.

A single pale white hand stretched out and curled it's fingers around the edge of one of the large dark oaken doors. Cloaked in black silk with an intricate purple trim, the High Priestess of Death stepped outside of her temple.

The seven acolytes instantly fell to their knees, their hands ceasing to be lit with black fire. The High Priestess looked around at them, slowly regarding them with sunken black eyes. After almost five years of being in her temple, she wore her black oversized hood even in the darkness provided by a blizzard to shield herself from what little sun was evident.

Her eyes, so black that iris and pupil were not distinguishable, moved from the acolytes to Thane. She smiled, showing red, sharpened teeth, "Thane, you have shown me what I wanted to see. I have had another vision, and you are to carry it out for me." She strode over to Thane, almost as if she were floating, not bothering to glance at Sylvia.

Thane looked down, not daring to make eye contact with the Dark Lady. He muttered, "My lady, a vision? What is this vision?" He kneeled down, as did Sylvia, leaving only Illendriel and the High Priestess standing.

The High Priestess looked down at Thane, and whispered to him, "I cannot tell you now, but you have important things to do. To start, you must kill the necromancer." The Priestess and Thane both looked over at Illendriel, who was looking at them now as well, but couldn't hear their whispers.

Thane, looking at Illendriel, answered the Priestess, "Why? Why must she die?" He looked up at the Priestess, seeing a small red glint in her black eyes, what was left of her days as someone truly mortal.

The Priestess glanced down at Thane, and chuckled, "Oh you need motivation, do you? Hmm, well I suppose I can grant that wish." Malevolence danced in her smile as she reached down to Thane's forehead and placed a single finger between his eyes.