"So you travel around this country, you're looking for your holy ghost.
And what you gonna find?
Is it somewhere where you like to hide?
So run around your ego, you run around your gold coast.
You know you got the time
Because this prison is our own design."

- Gold Coast, Grouplove

*

Fen's POV

Jesus, my head is killing me.

Letting out a groan and forcing my head up, I try to ignore the throbbing pain all over my body.

My vision comes into focus and I see Mama and Gina lying on the floor next to me. Worry rushed over me and I quickly crawled to them, shaking them and shouting their names.

"Ma? Gina! Ma! Wake up, please!"

Slowly, Ma's and Gina's eyelashes fluttered open. Ma's smokey grey eyes locked with mine, and then I saw the fear overwhelm them.

"Fen..."

"Mama, are you okay?" I ask anxiously.

"Where is she? Where is Cora?!" She nearly screamed,"My baby! Oh, my baby, that monster took her!"

Monster...?

Instantly, memories of last night flooded my head like a deadly ocean tide. Mama, Gina, and I were preparing dinner, waiting for Cora to come home. Then, in a flash the roof of the house caved in and next thing I knew, the Red Shadow cornered us.

I tried desperately to protect our family. I stood between them and that alien. I fought back, and wounded it with a kitchen knife. Unfortunately, the monster was much quicker than I was and I lost my only weapon.

It looked like it was getting ready to tear off our flesh and use our bones as a toothpick before Cora ran in.

She spoke with the beast as if she knew it wanted her. After a few words were spoken, a deal was made and the Red Shadow pulled out some kind of contraption that leaked gas.

I was out like a light.

"Where is Cora?" Gina asked in a shaken voice.

Before I could stop the words from flowing, I breathed out, "I don't know."

Mama began to sob heavily and Gina was trembling in fear. Firstly, I needed to get them somewhere safe.

Now that the Red Shadow knew where we lived, we have to move locations.

Moving to the shelter homes, we made that our temporary home. Now that I knew my family was in safe hands, I set off to find my sister.

I knew she wasn't dead because her body wasn't found. That gave me hope that she was still out there. I knew Cora. I knew my sister. She was headstrong, brave, and tactical.

She would make it.

At least that's what I hoped.

I might as well try something simple. I asked around the camp to see if anyone knew where she was. No one did.

I even went to her job and she wasn't there. Cora was well known in the city. If anyone knew where she was, they would've told me.

I finally went to where I worked. Thomas was the first person I sought to ask.

"Thomas!" I called for him. He was out in the fields tending the vegetables.

"Fen?"

I ran up to him, panting because I was so damn exhausted. I had been searching and asking around all day without rest. Thomas must know something. He has to. "Have you seen Cora?"