Chapter 3: Too Young

They say when you feel sad, that you should dance. It's true, as soon as I figured out what mom was talking about, Dad was texting while driving and well...you can guess the rest. He was my mom's high school sweetheart.

As soon as I hear that, I ran to the basement, Dad had recently renovated it to become my studio, filled with every song imaginable, and microphones of every size and shape. I pressed the on button on my flat screen that played and recorded music and some other stuff, typed the song, "Too Young" by Sabrina Carpenter, and got into starting position.

This is a contemporary piece, my favorite type of dance. Showing my emotion through the most intricate piece of art. I'm crying now, as the song talks about love. I remember turning thirteen, when Dad took me to Red Lobster and said that he was my first date, I laughed because he wasn't. I had gone out with Ryan just the day before. But now, I realize that he was my first date. He was mine since the day I first opened my eyes to get a glimpse of this cruel world.

The moves are like second nature; spin, 98 degree kick, splits, arms imitating a backstroke while holding the splits. I come back up and them fall, drowning in a never-ending pool of tears. "This isn't real," I tell myself. But the more I wait for him to come home, the more real it becomes.