AppleJack Worthy

A Thousand Stars - chapter 1 - page 1 - Wattpad

--------------

Emma's POV

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The soft pitter patter of the rain against the glass was getting extremely irritating. Enough that I needed to concentrate in order to stay sane. I pressed my forehead against the cold window that separated me from the world to relieve the headache that was settling in. I had to close my eyes because the dreary grey outside brought a crushing sense that I hadn't felt in a very long time. Losing my concentration and my thoughts from over-thinking again was not a good sign. I had to steady my breathing.

All of this trouble, because of water falling from the sky.

The car rattled and bumped against the road and causing me to bump my head against the window again and again worsening my headache. I raised my head not wanting to worsen the headache, but it did anyway.

"Arghh" I moaned. It shouldn't hurt this bad but it did. I hadn't had a headache like this in a long time.

"Miss. Starley, are you alright?" the driver asked.

"Yes, I'm quite alr-,"

Immense pain flared through my head, and I collapsed into darkness.

-----

"Emma! Run! Please stay safe." My mother says to me weeping.

"Why, mum? What's happening-" I start.

I hear my father in the distance cry out. A slash and a thud.

"Go!" My mother says.

I stay standing watching in the rain as I see my mum run toward the sound of my father's voice. When she's out of sight, I turn and run. I run for all its worth. Nobody's here to help me or my mum and dad.

My dress catches on something and I trip and fall. My hands scraped and covered in mud. This was my favorite dress. Mum had just got it for me, today, as a birthday present. Tears roll down my cheeks as stand and run again. I want to give up, but I can't. Mummy's counting on me.

------

"Miss Starley!" Someone kept repeating my name.

My eye fluttered open and they fell upon a very concerned cabbie. Obviously not concerned for my health but for his job. Well, he was taking me to a very powerful man, so I couldn't really blame him.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine, you don't need to fret," I exclaimed as I sat up rubbing the back of my neck. Seeing the still worried driver, I soften my tone.

"Thank you for your concern, but really I'm alright. This happens all the time, due to exhaustion."

Actually, that was a lie. Something like this hasn't happened to me in a long time. It's been 7 years since my parents’ death and sure, I've grown stronger than I was before, but nothing is ever enough. When the night terrors and random flashbacks started all those years ago, I forced them out of my head with anything I could find to entertain or teach myself and eventually I learned to control it.

Before, I was weak and helpless. When officers found me in the woods with wide eyes overflowing with tears, I couldn't and wouldn't speak. No matter what they bribed me with. I only started again when they gave me the only thing that survived the fire at my house; my mother's ruby necklace. They told me my parents died in the fire, but I knew deep down inside that a simple fire was not source of their death. But no one would ever believe me.