1- Growing Pains

CW: Starvation

He didn't know how to do anything but take.

It was all he had known for years, and probably all he ever would know.

The thought made him worry.

At his younger age, he had been small and lean- able to sprint and dodge through crowds without any trouble.

But as he grew older, his body grew as well- he now got stuck in places he was just able to hide in weeks earlier, and his small home was growing increasingly uncomfortable.

Henwy looked up wearily, flurries of snow landing lightly in his golden-brown hair and eyelashes.

His chest heaved with exertion, sweat dripping down his face as he shivered in the freezing cold.

He had narrowly escaped the man he was stealing from.

Henwy looked down at his shaking hands, which held half of a loaf of bread.

Sliding down the wall, he sat in the snow, the cold seeping into him as well as a heavy feeling of dread.

He held the bread at eye level, blinking away snowflakes.

He needed more food.

He gritted his teeth as they started to chatter, straightening his jaw the best he could.

He needed better shelter.

He exhaled a shaky breath, white billowing into the darkening sky in a soft cloud.

Henwy took a bite out of the bread- stale- and chewed slowly, holding back tears.

It's not fair.

He wiped his cheek with his free hand before the tear could freeze to his face.

The wind picked up, sending the snow flying up in waves and half-blinding him. He hissed as the snow blew into his eyes, burying his cold face into his knees.

It's not fair...

Slowly, the loaf fell out of his palm, hitting the ground with a dull thud.

Henwy slumped to the ground, cheek burning as it sunk into the deathly cold snow.

He knew he was going to die.

Eventually, his body would give up- get sick, run out of energy, or just cease to work.

I might as well just get it over with.

Henwy closed his eyes, and let the dark consume him.

---------------

The thing that woke him was the smell.

Henwy slowly blinked open his eyes.

He was warm- and the material under him was soft, not hard like the concrete he had fallen asleep on.

He was wrapped in multiple heavy blankets, which pressed him into the couch. He could feel his skin brushing against the fuzz of the material, so he assumed that he had no shirt on.

"It says to apply a warm towel or bottle of water to the person's neck or groin."

Henwy perked up, struggling to sit up in the swaddle of blankets.

"Well, I'M not touching his groin."

A voice sighed.

"Fine."

Henwy sank back as two men walked into the room, feeling too weak to try and escape. Hopefully they wouldn't hurt him.

Not that he'd care, anyway.

The shorter man froze, looking at him in surprise. "Oh. Hello."

Henwy stayed silent.

The man's gaze flickered to the other man's, then to Henwy. "How do you feel? You almost died out there, to be honest."

He stepped forward, and Henwy flinched.

The man's eerie green eyes widened. "I'm not going to hurt you." Slowly, he put a hand to his chest. "I'm Sigils. This is my husband, Biffle."

The man next to him, holding a towel, smiled and gave him a bit of a wave.

Henwy slowly sat up, trying to keep the warm, soft fabric over his shoulders.

"Do you know where you live? Your parents' names? They must be deathly worried about you." Biffle said softly.

Henwy looked down, and felt his eyes burn with tears.

No, no, no-

Stop it, you idiot!

He covered his face with his shaky hands, and suddenly he felt a warm hand on his shoulder, which was calloused and scratchy with scars.

Henwy glanced at the man.

Sigils looked at him, brow furrowed.

"... You don't have parents, do you?"

Henwy sniffed, lip trembling.

He pushed away the thoughts of self remorse and anger as he collapsed onto the man's shoulder.

Sigils stiffened in surprise as Henwy wrapped his thin arms around his neck- then Henwy was embraced by the man fully.

Henwy let out loud sobs, his heavy breaths racking his body as he darkened the green of Sigils' shirt with his tears.

Another hand was placed on his back reassuringly as Biffle murmured something to Sigils.

The man rocked back and forth slowly on the balls of his feet, lulling Henwy until he had finally stopped crying.

He trembled slightly, not letting go of his tight grip on the man.

He was never going to let go.

Not ever.

A/N/ Oh hey this is my IC au welcome to more of my madness 

(jeez I wrote this in like November of 2022)

728 words, will be longer next time :D