"You know the rules about mobile phones in class"

It was last period. Year 6 had english with mrs mulgrew. They all stood outside waiting her classroom door when the bell rang.
"Right come on in you lot" she said as she opened the door "take a seat and answer the question that's on the board please."
"Miss" said Darren
"Yes Darren"
"Is it true you and mr d Oliviara had it off last night miss?" Sniggers spread from across the room
"No Darren it's not." She said with a sharp tone "now settle down at once" everyone went silent and Christine began doing the register.
"Lenny"
"Here miss"
"Lisa"
"Here miss"
"Emma" there was no response "I'm sure I saw her this morning in assembly"
"I saw her In history earlier miss" said Lenny.
"Right well if she doesn't arrive soon I'll have to chase it up with Sonya" Christine pulled out her copy of Romeo and Juliet "now can anyone tell me where we where up to last time?" Lenny put his hand up "yes Lenny"
"Well Romeo and Juliet had just met at the ball but they find out thy shall not be together because of the conflict beetween the montaques and the capulets"
"Good" she smiled "now turn to page 29 please" just then there was a knock on the door. It was Emma. Christine signaled for her to come in. "Ah Emma nice for you to join us" she said "Take a seat we're just about to start reading" Emma sat there agitated the whole time she couldn't focus something else was going on.
Emma got her phone out her pocket and began texting. Christine saw it out of the corner of her eye.
"Miss west am I interrupting something?" She said looking down at Emma.
"No miss sorry"
"You know the rules about mobile phones in class hand it over please." Tears began to stream down Emma's face. She handed the phone to mrs mulgrew and went in sat back down. "Now I want you to pair up Shaznay you'll be working with Emma please"
"Are you joking you want me to sit next to that sweaty cow ughh miss I'll get nits or something"
"Shaznay I do not allow language like that in my classroom"
"She's probably not ever seen a shower miss" Shaznay rolled her eyes " aww look little cry baby"
Emma stood up she didn't say anything. She just backhand Shaznay. But Shaznay faught back. Christine has to break it up. "Shaznay cooler now"
"But miss she started it"
"But you provoked her"
"Did not"
"I mean it Shaznay cooler NOW"
"Fine I'm going"
"Emma take a seat sweetheart"
"Sorry miss"she mumbled.
"It's alright." She continued on with the rest of her lesson and at half 3 the bell rang. "Right off you go you lot have a good evening I want chapter 5 reading by Friday please no excuses" Emma went to walk out when mrs mulgrew stopped her. "Emma can I have a word" she said. Emma nodded. "I saw the messages on your phone. What an earth is going on."
"Nothing miss honest" she said
"Emma speak to me please or I'll have to ring your mum about the fight."
"Please don't ring mum." She said "she won't answer anyways" she muttered
"Emma speak to me"
"I can't miss I've got to go get my brother"
"Your mum can do that can't she"
"Ye but she's at work miss"
"Emma" she shot a stern look at her "Did Shaznay do that"
"What" she pointed to a deep cut on her arm. "Oh no she didn't do that don't worry."
"Well who did then."
"No one I dropped a glass the other day and accidentally cut myself whilst cleaning it up."
"Right."
"Can I Ermm have my phone back now."
"Not until you tell me what's going on Emma."
"Please miss I need to message my mum"
"Emma tell me what's wrong" she looked up at Emma and smiled "you can speak to me about anything" she said in a sweet tone. Emma began to sob "hey hey hey hey come here" she wrapped her arms around emma "what is it?"
"It's mum"
"What about mum"
"She's gone..."