⚡️ Chapter 20 ⚡️

"That's my... Uncle Ted!"

Vega's arms were seized by her friends before she could move but even Vega knew, no matter how much she wanted to see her uncle again, that she could not see him again until the war was over, until Voldemort had been defeated and put under. She clutched her hands into fists and freed her arms from the tight holds on her forearms.

"Six weeks... seven... I forget," said the tired man. "Met up with Griphook in the first couple of days and joined forces with Gornuk not long after. Nice to have a bit of company,"

There was a pause, while knives scraped plates and tin mugs were picked up and replaced on the ground, and the man then continued, "What made you leave, Ted?"

"Knew they were coming for me," Ted answered. "Heard Death Eaters were in the area last week and decided I'd better run for it. Refused to register as a Muggle-Born on principle, see, so I knew it was a matter of time, knew I'd have to leave in the end. My wife should be okay, she's pure-blood. And then I met Dean here, what, a few days ago, son?"

"Yeah," said another voice, and Vega, Harry, Ron, and Hermione stared at each other, silent but besides themselves with excitement, sure they recognized the voice of Dean Thomas, their fellow Gryffindor.

"Muggle-born, eh?" asked the first man.

"Not sure," Dean said. "My dad left my mum when I was a kid. I've got no proof he was a wizard, though,"

There was silence for a while, except for the sounds of munching; then Ted spoke again.

"I've got to say, Dirk, I'm surprised to run into you," Ted spoke up and Vega listened carefully. "Pleased, but surprised. Word was that you'd been caught,"

"I was," Dirk said. "I was halfway to Azkaban when I made a break for it. Stunned Dawlish, and nicked his broom. It was easier than you'd think; I don't reckon he's quite right at the moment. Might be Confunded. If so, I'd like to shake the hand of the witch or wizard who did it, probably saved my life,"

There was another pause in which the fire crackled and the river rushed on. Then Ted said, "And where do you two fit in? I, er, had the impression the goblins were for You-Know-Who, on the whole,"

"You had a false impression," said the higher-voiced of the goblins. "We take no sides. This is a wizards' war,"

"How come you're in hiding, then?" Ted asked.

"I deemed in prudent," said the deeper-voiced goblin. "Having refused what I considered an impertinent request, I could see that my person safety was in jeopardy,"

"What did they ask you to do?" Ted inquired.

"Duties ill-befitting the dignity of my race," replied the goblin, his voice rougher and less human as he said it. "I am not a house-elf,"

"What about you, Griphook?" Ted questioneed.

"Similar reasons," said the higher voiced goblin. "Gringotts is no longer under the sole control of my race. I recognize no Wizarding master," He added something under his breath in Gobbledegook that Vega didn't catch, and Gornuk laughed.

"What's the joke?" Dean asked.

"He said," Dirk replied. "That there are things wizards don't recognise, either,"

There was a short pause.

"I don't get it," Dean said.

"I had my small revenge before I left," Griphook said in English.

"Good man – goblin, I should say," Ted amended hastily. "Didn't manage to lock a Death Eater up in one of the old high-security vaults, I suppose?"