extended summary

Betrayal is a funny thing, one with many different meanings. Sometimes people change for the worse, stabbing you in the back and leaving you in pieces. Other times, they were never really good. They didn't change, they didn't turn—they simply stayed the same and eventually, you figured it out.

Family is much the same when you really think about it, each person defines it in their own way. The simple minded way of looking at the concept is blood, those who gave birth to you and the ones who gave birth to them. But that's not always true, because often your relatives aren't the people that you were meant to care about above yourself. Often it is your friends who you are meant to love more than anything.

And when you put your friends above all else, there is far too much opportunity for danger. Anyone who you truly care about causes that, really. Anyone can break you and tear you down until you are only a shell of who you used to be. The question is, will you sink or will you swim?

Elara Dumbledore wanted nothing more than to swim, and that she did. She swam through the storm and came out on the other side, only to find a new obstacle. With all her energy gone, all her motivation lost, it was only a matter of time before she drowned.

Her grandfather may have tried to prevent it, in fact, he held off the inevitable for so long that she had to lose the will to live before she finally passed on. What the man didn't realise is that the whole thing had been his fault, he had caused her to fight in the first place and then forced her to keep going until she couldn't anymore. He had made her life hell and had absolutely no remorse, because to him, everything had worked out. I had worked out for him.