Ch 11

TW: seemingly the beginning of a soft dub/non-con, but not really

Dong-Mae released the steam building in his throat as soon as she disappeared on the stairs.

Of course she didn't remember.

He wasn't sure how he felt about it. It annoyed him to have been left unfulfilled after sampling the goods he'd been craving. But he was somewhat relieved that she didn't have to be embarrassed about her behavior. It would've definitely slowed things down if she started to avoid him just so she didn't have to face what she'd done.

It seemed that his time was not yet here.

According to his experience, her "be right back" might take an hour, so he decided to go refresh himself as well. Then he got back to working on the fire. He was long done before she finally came down the stairs. The black sky outside was already beginning to pale into dark blue.

"I'm sorry I ended up drinking too much and making you babysit me."

Nara stood in the door dressed as she was before, except in a fresh set of night clothing. Dong-Mae couldn't stop his gaze from gliding across her unimpressive height. She looked like a fairy with that blonde hair flowing around her shoulders and her porcelain toes softly digging into the rug.

The sight of her triggered a tickling sensation somewhere around his stomach. Perhaps her outfit wasn't so innocent after all. She had to know how scandalously underdressed she was in the presence of a male stranger, right? Or was it really unconscious?

"It wasn't so bad," he shrugged, exuding indifference.

She nodded. "Would you like to stay for a very early breakfast, since you've almost spent the night already?"

"I could eat. You owe me for babysitting you, anyway," he smirked.

Mildly shocked, he watched her bow her head and try to hide the heat radiating from her cheeks. Then she disappeared to get some food.

She managed to regain her composure as they slowly sipped strong coffee and munched on simple snacks that seemed to be prepared by her own hands. The atmosphere gradually cooled and Dong-Mae felt he needed to go before she turned into her pretentious self again. He couldn't stomach that act.

"Wait, you're going already?" She gaped at him as he stood up.

"I don't want to overstay my welcome. You look like you can handle being by yourself now."

"But..." She hesitated, biting her lip. "You haven't told me what embarrassing things I've done during my blackout. I need to clear things up with you as soon as possible, so there are no... misunderstandings."

Dong-Mae ground his teeth. There she was, Ms. Snooty McPearl-Clutch. She must suspect some of her closely guarded secrets had gotten out. Now she wanted to officially deny any affection or attraction she might have shown.

He didn't want to give her the satisfaction.

"Don't treat me to your public persona. I think I deserve better from you."

She blinked in surprise, her mouth forming a neat 'O'. "Uh, I don't know what you mean. Sir."

"This," he sighed. "You're rarely so sarcastically polite to me in private. I'm not interested in talking to that Nara. Not in my free time."

"Just tell me what I did and you can be on your merry way!" Her voice screeched as she expressed her annoyance. "I simply don't wish to give you the wrong idea."

"And what idea would that be?" He growled with mouth stretched in a venomous line. He bent over to her at first, then decided to sit back down. Having him study her face from a meter away was making her nervous and he liked it.