Prologue I

Elijah's POV

The inventors have created a new design and the testing results were pleasing to their eyes. It appears that they have decided to upgrade our system to this new modern creation. I have to break out tonight...

I watch carefully as the guards all go to the renovation center; << this is my chance >> I thought. There was only one challenge; cameras. These cameras are placed in every corner and they are activated with motion sensors.

I took some replenishment tubes and packed my bag. Making my load heavier will only slow me down; I have enough to sustain my needs for now. I'll have to make deals later in any black markets I can find. I had to concentrate, I needed to be in total control of my mind. Just one wrong move can ruin everything. The Union could classify me as an agitator, and cause my expiration.

I look at my sports hand watch. All the electricity in the building will be off for a few seconds while they exchange the old power plant for a new one. The technology will be rebooting which will take exactly five minutes in the process. Normally while this happens, there are guards watching over the building. But since today is a historical event, everybody will be renewing their systems and off duty.

Five minutes to get out of the building and the entire zone. Only one chance to do it.

The power is out and I make my move. I run; through the endless hallways. Running like hell wants to eat me alive. My lungs are aching now, but I don't care. I took the risk, and now is too late to go back. I can hear the cameras reset; how their insides shriek passing data all over the complicated machinery. I see the exit door ten feet away but don't slow down.

One minute and thirty-four seconds.

I slam against the door and enter the code 920765# into the keypad before it beeped to indicate the door was successfully unlocked.

Outside I was careful enough not to be seen by any cameras. I ran directly into a fence and started climbing it until the top. But the light came back again and the cameras were already operating. A very disturbing high-pitch noise came out of the damn thing, alarming the others around it << Are you kidding me?! >> I jumped down the other side of the fence quickly to keep running like my life depends on it when I heard the guards' motorcycles engine roaring; looks like the assembly is over...

They won't catch me; I can't let them. They're on motorbikes. I'm on foot.

They're gaining on me << No >>.

I was so distracted on trying to make up a plan to lose them that I almost fell down a cliff,

"Shit!" the words shot out of my mouth.

I turned to see the motorcycles' lights chasing after their pray; me.

Without giving it much thought, I took a step back and fell.