Acrylic Nails

Have you ever wondered how to make your own acrylic nails? Many people know how to paint their nails, but much fewer know how to successfully make acrylic nails.

Making homemade nails is an easy way to avoid paying the $75-$120 price of acrylics at nail salons. Here, you will learn to make your own acrylic nails step by step.

First, you will need to acquire superglue, acrylic powder, acrylic monomer liquid, a bowl of ice water, medium sized paintbrushes, a nail file or nail dremel, the nail polish of your choice, a small cup that is not used for food or drink, a mask to protect yourself from the fumes and  flying nail particles, and nail guides.

Nail guides are basically long, thick stickers with a hole for your fingernail in the middle. It provides a base to extend the acrylic onto.

You will need to place the nail guide so the hole perfectly fits the nail with no open space. Next, you will need to fold the wings of the sticker onto the finger so it stays in place, and form the end into your desired nail shape.

You will then need to put on the mask and pour a small amount of the acrylic monomer liquid into the small cup. You will begin by dipping your paintbrush into the liquid, then into the jar of acrylic powder. The acrylic powder should form into a wet, moldable bead that sticks to the end of the paintbrush. Place the bead at the base of the nail and spread it forwards using the brush. This must be done quickly because the acrylic will harden as fast as lightning. It doesn't have to be perfect, as long as you have the basic shape you want.

As the acrylic begins to harden you may feel a burning sensation on the  nail. This is because when the acrylic powder and monomer liquid mix and harden they create a chemical reaction, which creates heat. This is where the bowl of ice water comes in. The burning sensation passes within a few seconds but you may feel the need to place your finger in the ice water to get fast relief.

Once the nail is fully hardened the nail guide will no longer be needed and should be able to be removed it without any trouble. The nail may be a bit rough and bumpy, which is why it will need filing or dremeling.

A nail dremel is more expensive than a file, but it will save you some time; similarly, a nail file is cheaper but will be much more tedious. Simply file the surface and sides of the nail until happy with it.

While filing or dremeling, it is important to still keep your mask on to avoid inhaling any nail dust. Repeat the process with all other nails.

If the nails have not fallen off by now, they will soon. In my experience, nail glue falls off within a few hours which is why I recommend superglue if you're looking for long lasting nails. Superglue usually lasts about 1 week before the nail falls off. Simply remove the nail, apply a small amount of superglue to the inner base of the acrylic nail, and press and hold in your desired position onto your natural nail for about thirty seconds to a minute; However, you must be careful not to glue the fingers together. Repeat with all other nails.

Once the nails are filed to ones liking and secured onto the fingers it is time to paint them in whatever polish you like. I hope you enjoyed learning how to make your own acrylics!