Chapter 1 - the beginning of my end

(uneditted)

Once upon a time

 there was a girl and a boy

The story always starts that way, doesn't it? Boy and girl meet and fall in love, It doesn't happen all at once though. They fall in love slowly beneath the stars they grew up under, listening to cheesy old-Bollywood songs, hoping the world would never separate them.

 And if they were lucky enough, maybe they would find their forever.

"What are you doing Arshia?" Your voice broke me out of my trance.        

      I look up at you with my tear-stained cheeks as I try to hold in my whimpers but for some reason, more tears welled up in my eyes. Your twelve-year-old self just knelt there beside me concerned as to why I was sitting on the staircase leading to my house and crying my eyes out.

After a few minutes when you notice I've stopped sobbing you ask me again,    

"Why are you crying??"                                                                                                                                                                          

"I don't know, I've really just been frustrated with everything and its starting to  get overwhelming" I replied with a heavy sniffle         

"is that why you're crying?" you release a sigh, not knowing how to comfort a crying friend. "cmon how about ice cream?" you say with a tiny smile and your hand stretched out to hold mine, not knowing what had just blossomed.

 2 years later...

"HELLO EARTH TO VIHAAN?"

I snap you out of your daze "Hm?" 

"Were you not listening?? Ugh, what are you wearing for Diwali?"

"I don't know, a shirt and jeans I guess?" you voice out, clearly disinterested.

"yeah no, not happening, you're wearing something ethnic"

"what" I'll have to check with my dad then, I don't have anything ethnic"

"great then, I'll talk to you later may mummas calling me" I hang up the call without waiting for your answer, and just lay there staring up at my ceiling, judging how oblivious a guy can be.

It's been almost 10 years now, I can see the exit for the airport up ahead, believe it or not Inaayat is getting married in a month and I had to of course be here early to help plan her wedding. I swear to god I love her so much.                                                                                                          

I sigh as I finally find my Uber and think about the last time I was back here at Delhi.

"So I guess this is it huh?" I say while looking down so you won't notice the tears welling in my eyes. 

"Mhm. I guess...." I notice the slight whimper in your voice and look up to see you fidgeting with your ring.                                                                                                                                                              

     "You know.." I began as I look at the entrance of the airport thinking about the life I'm about the leave behind. 

"What?"

"I don't think we'll meet again" 

"What?? No dont say that, please"                                                                                                                             

"I mean think about it...I'm going to Mumbai for college, you're leaving for the states in January, and you as a business major and me as an English major our paths would never cross"     

 I look up when I hear no response just to see tears leaking from your eyes.

"We can still hope we meet again...can't we?"                                                                    

"I guess...."  I voice out with a tone of  hesitation.

"Question for a question?" I hear you ask in a breath                                                                                                       

"You first" I reply 

"Can I hug yo-?" I wrap my arms around your torso before you can finish your sentence, desperate to hold on to this. 

"Uh, this is it isn't it?"

"Arshia. I promise you, we can do this - long. distance, we both love each other. I love you" Without answering,  afraid of lying to you once again I quickly lean up to softly press my lips against yours, whisper a quick goodbye and start sprinting.

Wow, so much has happened. I am actually coming back for good now, I have to say I missed India a lot. I missed a lot of people actually, 

I still wonder how Ishaan might be at times, we tried to stay in contact but I couldn't keep lying to him. we didn't even officially break up to be honest. We just stopped talking, which was easy for me to be honest. Cause as all those years ago, even now so my heart always belonged to him.