*1*

"Meiko!"

Meiko turned the page of her book as her mother called up the stairs for her. She'd been calling for ten minutes, but Meiko was too glued to the book to reply.

"Meiko Marie Matthews!!"

"Full name," Meiko muttered under her breath, "that's probably not good." She sighed, turning the page again.

"Meiko!"

"Almost finished..." Meiko said to herself. She could barely hear the slight stomping up the stairs, or the slipper soles traveling to her bedroom door.

"Meiko Marie," her mother cracked Meiko's bedroom door open, then pushed it all the way. "Honey I've been calling you for fifteen minutes-"

"Ten," Meiko corrected, "what's up?" She lifted her head slowly from the book, watching her mother shake her head.

"Don't be smart with me."

"Sorry," Meiko said, closing her book slowly. "I couldn't put it down."

Her mother's eyes scanned the cover of the book and she gave an amused smile. "Only my daughter would be stuck in her chair, reading a book on... What even is that?"

Meiko rolled her eyes, setting the book beside her blue lounge chair. "Just one of those old textbooks Uncle Jyon brought me a few months ago. I was finishing up a section on identifying license plates."

Her mother frowned in confusion. "Haven't you already read that one?"

"About two times," Meiko answered with a shrug, "but that doesn't mean I'm ready. I have to keep studying."

"Okay," her mother said slowly, walking further into Meiko's bedroom. "You don't have to worry about this though. You already got into the police academy, Mei. If you forgot, you're fifteen?"

"I didn't forget," Meiko said quietly, "but I don't want to fail after getting so far."

"You won't fail."

"I might," Meiko pushed a long strand of hair behind her ear, "Dell says classes are usually harder than the books make them seem. And I shouldn't be surprised, Uncle Jyon is the principal, he would know what everyone needs to learn and what they don't. At least," Meiko held onto the worn blue sleeve of her shirt, "that's what Dell told me a few weeks ago."

"And what does he tell you now?" Her mother asked.

"Nothing," Meiko sighed, slowly lifting herself off of the chair. "Remember? Uncle Jyon said he'd rather Dell and I didn't talk until my first day at the police academy. And because he's the sheriff of Seppleville, he can make sure that happens."

"Hm," Meiko's mother frowned again. "I'm going to have to talk to Jyon about that. He shouldn't be using his power as sheriff to keep you and Dell apart."

"It's okay Mom," Meiko said, "I need to focus on preparing for the AOP as much as I can; talking to Dell would be distracting."

Her mother raised an eyebrow. "The AOP?"

"Mom everyone calls it that," Meiko sighed, "the Academy Of police? The AOP?"

"Oh, yes I have heard Jyon and the other officers call it that." Cornflower blue eyes sparkled, "I guess it's official since you're calling it that too."

Meiko shrugged. "So what did you want?"

Her mother clasped her hands together and gasped. "Meiko I almost forgot!"

"Sorry."

Her mother sighed, wiping her hands on her light yellow apron. "I asked for two favors from you earlier, do you remember what they were?"