Chapter Three

Sam awoke groggily, but with each passing second, the world became clearer around him. He could tell he was in the infirmary on the Paladin. He had certainly been there enough times to know what it looked like.

The events up until he had passed out were muddled, but he could still remember most of what had happened. Certainly enough to harbor an anger towards Briggs for disobeying him and letting Sadiq go. For Sam, there was no greater offense than not taking any opportunity to put a dangerous man down. He would have done it himself had he been even remotely capable.

He had to find out where they stood concerning Sadiq.

Unable to sit still any longer, Sam starting disconnecting himself from the medical machines scattered around him and swung his legs over the side of the bed. His legs nearly couldn't support him and he had to steady himself on the wall as he walked down the hallway to the control room.

Grim was standing at the entrance, talking to one of the tech analysts. She looked astonished when she spotted Sam and dismissed the crewman next to her to turn to him.

"You're awake." It was both a statement and an amazed question. "You shouldn't be out of bed."

Sam brushed past her concern. "Where's Sadiq? Do we know his location?"

"No, not yet. But the tracker you placed is live so it's only a matter of time." She hurried through the response, wanting to get back to her own argument. "But Sam, there's no way I'm letting you go back out there right now. You were nearly dead when you came back and we have no idea what that nerve gas did to you. We have to run more tests."

Looking up over Grim's shoulder for a moment, Sam did a double take when he spotted Briggs standing near the center of the room. His rage erupted.

~~~

"Briggs!"

Sam sidestepped Grim, oblivious to her protestations. Grim then stepped in front of Sam, placing her hands on his chest in an effort to stop him. "Sam, you need to rest. There's no telling—" But Sam ignored her and pushed past.

"Sam!" Briggs answered Sam in honest surprise. "I can't believe your walking right now."

Sam doggedly ploughed on with what he was saying as he charged up to Briggs. "That was your last mission. I'm pulling you out of the field."

Briggs was taken aback, both shocked and disbelieving. "What? What are talking about?"

Sam angrily jabbed his finger at Briggs' chest. "You disobeyed a direct order. You're lucky I don't have you discharged."

"You can't be serious."

"You just don't get it, do you?"

By this time, the entire room had stopped what they were doing. All eyes were glued to the two men in the center of the room, monitors and reports forgotten.

"You were dying, Sam. What did you want me to do?" Briggs asked indignantly.

"I wanted you to finish the job, Briggs!" shouted Sam in response. "Nothing else matters. Nothing. Not you. Not me." He paused a moment before adding, "You're done."

With a final, harsh stare leveled at Briggs, Sam turned to leave. Grim, having remained silent throughout the argument, made a placating gesture to Briggs, wanting him to stay put while she went to talk to Sam. She turned to follow him, and Briggs turned his back to both of them, too angry and incredulous for words. He scoffed and placed his hands on his hips, not sure what to do with himself, awkwardly meeting the eyes of those watching. His emotions boiled over until the steam burst forth.