Chapter Three: G.U.Y

April mulled over what the reason could be for him leaving so quickly. Her only real thoughts were that he either didn't really like her like she thought, or came in his jeans and was embarrassed.

          She considered the likelihood of each option while getting dressed for work, and continued to think on it while sticking people with needles and taking their blood. She enjoyed her job plenty. It sure paid the bills, and she tended toward contract phlebotomy so she could switch up the setting. For the next three months she was just in a blood work lab. It was pretty boring, but quick and easy.

          In the middle of finding a vein, her phone rang in her pocket. She took it out and saw that it was Norman calling. She let it ring a few times as she was getting the blood in the right vials, and picked up after she sent the patient on their way. It was a quick process and she'd had lots of practice, so Norman wasn't left hanging long.

           "Hello?" she asked, balancing the phone between her shoulder and ear while cleaning up before the next person.

          "Hi" he said

           "Hi" she replied and smiled, rolling her eyes "what's up?"

          "I was wondering if you're free to get lunch" she loved the sound of his voice. Smooth but rough.

          "Uhmm" she said, distracted. She kept the phone in the same balanced position and let the next patient in "Just have a seat and lift up your sleeve for me, honey" she said. In the chair was a girl probably about ten years old. She always tried to be extra nice to kids. But this girl didn't seem nervous at all.

          "What?" asked Norman

          "I'm sorry, norman, I'm at work.." she trailed off as she got the girl situated and prepped for finding a vein "I get off for lunch at 1:00, can I call you then? I'm really sorry" she felt bad, since he sounded so excited to be talking to her

          "Of course" he said "talk to ya later" he then hung up and she finished up with the first portion of her shift. She'd been up since 4:45, but being slightly hungover certainly didn't aid in the fight to get out of bed.

          "Hey" he said

           "Hey" she replied with another smile "i have an hour, where do you want to go?"

          "Well what's close?"

          "I see a cafe across the street" she suggested "they probably have regular food" she wasn't really hungry, but figured if he was he could get something and she could get some coffee to wake her up. She told him the address, and he told her he was already close to there.

          She smiled awkwardly as he walked over to her. She hated getting to know someone. Everything was new, and she wasn't sure how to be comfortable around him yet. They sat at a table away from everyone else, even though there were plenty of open seats everywhere else. She wondered why briefly, but moved on

          "Scrubs?" he asked, puzzled "are you a nurse or something?"

          "Something like that" she smiled "I basically steal blood and get paid" he nodded in approval and took a drink of his coffee, and a bite of the breakfast sandwich he got.

          "Well I think that's neat"

          "What do you do?" she asked him. He hadn't mentioned work at all

          "Oh" he said, hesitating "just some acting stuff" he shrugged like it was no big deal "some modeling" was he embarrassed? Did he think she would judge him?