The Fall is Coming

Febuwhump 2023 Day 2: Flinched

Paris stood still on the cold clear night, a full moon beaming out and setting alight the stillborn city, enveloping all it touches in a stone-like hue. Revealed by the moonlight stood two silhouettes, silently viewing the endless horizon of buildings atop a brick roof nondescript to its surroundings.

As if the city were letting out a breath, a stark wind cut the silence, blowing through the city's alleyways and roads. The same cold wind that broke the black-clad figure's solemn trance with a shiver.

"Brrr I suppose fall is almost here," He commented, interrupting the silence between the two. "I suppose you'll need a jacket to stay warm m'lady." He winked towards the other figure clad in a red and black polka dot suit.

"Hmph maybe I should get you a straightjacket." The other figure replied humorlessly, still transfixed by the view ahead.

"What's that supposed to mean? Ladybug, are you still mad about what happened earlier? I'll admit Hawkmoth getting away was all my fault, but on the bright side we were able to save the city again together!"

"Well, I'd say only one of us saved the city, and that certainly wasn't you Chat." Ladybug's gaze turned to Chat Noir, eyes searing through her thinly veiled mask of indifference.

Chat Noir stiffened, before immediately snapping back. "I only did what I was supposed to do! Hawkmoth was right in front of us and I HAD to do something!"

"WAS DESTROYING THE I-FALL TOWER IN YET ANOTHER FIT OF RAGE SOMETHING YOU HAD TO DO?!"

This sudden outburst made Chat Noir flinch and take a step back. Before he could respond Ladybug continued.

"WAS PUTTING THE LIVES OF COUNTLESS PEOPLE AT RISK SOMETHING YOU HAD TO DO???"

If not for the moon's illuminating betrayal of dark secrecy, Chat Noir would have missed the trail of glistening tears that now streamed down Ladybug's face.

"You know if it hadn't been for my miraculous ladybugs, all those people on and around the tower would have actually STAYED DEAD!!! So how can you still be so easygoing about all of this!?!"

Chat Noir stood frozen, mouth slightly agape, watching as the woman he admired collapse to the ground sobbing in front of him. He silently admitted that he had been selfish, that he never stopped to think about how his actions may have affected her. "Ladybug," He started "I-I didn't realize ho-"

"WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE!!!" She screamed back before burrowing her face into her hands and letting out an anguished wail. "I just can't understand how you can just disregard those people and just imply that THEIR LIVES DON'T MATTER!!!"

"I'm sorry, I was being stupid." He started, trying desperately to find the right words that could console his partner. "Of COURSE I care about the lives of the citizens! Look, some of my own friends were there, and I know it probably doesn't help my case at all, but, I was just so focused, SO SURE that we could catch Hawkmoth this time! I thought our main goal here was to try and STOP him, not continue playing his GAME!"

"But he ESCAPED! Hawkmoth ALWAYS escapes! Did that ever cross your mind?!"

"Of course it did! But I was sure I could get him!"

"AND THAT'S WHY YOU CATACLYSMED THE ENTIRE I-FALL TOWER WHILE THERE WERE STILL PEOPLE ON IT?!?! THAT'S WHY YOU BASICALLY KILLED ALL OF MY FRIENDS?!?! YOUR FRIENDS?!?! You know. If it weren't for my miraculous ladybugs they would be DEAD FOREVER! FOREVER!!! DOES THAT NOT BOTHER YOU IN THE SLIGHTEST?!?!"

Ladybug took a couple breaths to calm herself a bit before carrying on.

"Your friends were there too right? How would you feel if we failed completely? If Hawkmoth got my miraculous. Do you think he would have activated the miraculous ladybugs? Do you think he would have even cared to bring them back?! If you think he would you're a complete fool!!!"

Ladybug looked away, biting her lip. But instead of holding in her terrible thoughts, rage instead bubbled up inside her, making her turn to him once more to finish her stricken tirade. "You know, when you do things like this, it makes me think that maybe you're not a hero. You seem more like a villain to me. Yes, when you do this, YOU'RE NO BETTER THAN HAWKMOTH HIMSELF!!!"

Ladybug gasped at herself, regretting her words as soon as they had left her mouth.

"Chat I-I... I didn't mean..."

Chat Noir stood paralyzed. His face emotionless.

"No Ladybug. I know exactly what you mean."

He turned slowly in a mechanical fashion, until his back faced Ladybug. Slowly, he put one foot in front of the other, and walked away, slowly picking of speed. As soon as he reached the ledge of the building, he jumped, landing safely at the next building's rooftop. He continued, and soon he was running, running away from the woman who just hurt him in a way only his father would have been able to... By completely rejecting him for who he was. By saying he was just like that monster of a man. By telling him exactly what he thought about himself.

A/N The spelling is intentional. Enjoy >:)